Licensing technicalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing technicalities

I plan to convert my current forums to an entirely new installation. However I don't want to blow away everything that I already have.

I know that you have have one installation for normal use and one for private testing...instead of for testing, can I convert my current one to a board where nobody can post (everybody can view) and nobody can register, and then another normal board?
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

You mean you want to continue running the old 'closed' forum and keep it open for viewing while using your license on a new forum? If that's what you mean, you would need to purchase an additional license to do this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

D'oh! Fair enough then.

What about archiving the threads to flat HTML files?

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
        What about archiving the threads to flat HTML files?
        Actually that's a clever idea. As long as you are not running the vB scripts or using a vB database, then this would be perfectly fine.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yeah, now to figure out a way to do it...

Comment

I thought a I saw a hack (or the promise of one) on vbulletin.org quite a while back about archiving vB posts to HTML.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Check out vbSpiderFriend - Search Engine Friendliness hack by Overgrow.

Comment

That still used the database, so wouldn't count, as the actual install would still exist... but I created a hack that would spew out HTML files, unfortunately I couldn't get over the issues I had with safe_mode so I abandoned it's use as myself and the person I was building it for both have safe_mode and we were losing ownership of our files.

However the following is possible:

Search vbulletin.org for the 'Cache Cannon' hack, it's in the beta forum as I never finalised it... but there is enough to do what you want.

Download said hack.

Install a forum on your home PC (for testing, perfectly legit) and copy your MySql from live onto your home PC... so you now have a fully working copy of live locally. You can use FoxServ to get an Apache, PHP, MySql installation easily).

Install my hack and adjust the templates to your desired output.

Fire the cache cannon.

Upload all of the archived HTML files via FTP.

Link to the default directory /forum/archive from some page... and finally uninstall all the local stuff if you want to.

This will achieve exactly what you want with no licensing issues.

Also, it's better as historical items never change, so why use the database to serve each one?

Cheers

David K
                London Fixed-gear and Single-speed

Comment

Cool beans, will try later today. Does this keep images and everything (which takes up unneccessary space)?

Comment

Got problems with it...http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...429#post270429 (will continue the conversation there considering the nature of it)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X