Localhost question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Localhost question

I have a local copy of my entire site. I am trying to duplicate so I needed to backup the database on the live site.

I did this using Putty and SSH according to some directions I have found.

Now I am trying to update my local database by restoring this *.sql file I just created and FTP'd to my local directory.

I am using an Apache server and am not sure if I am able to telnet or SSH into the server or MySql database. Everything is a mirror of my live site. I have searched and not found what I need.

Any suggestions?

~Kehfera

What directory did you backup the database to?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
      What directory did you backup the database to?
      The database is locally in the root of the local site just as it is on my live site.

I am just trying to PUTTY into my own site or can I go to the command line of mysql? What is the easiest way to update my local site?

~Kehf

Comment

To manage your localhost databases, they would be on your hard drive. The best program to do this is MySQL Front. You can download it at:

http://www.anse.de/mysqlfront/

Simply select your database and load your file using the menus. It is all GUI and works great.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
          To manage your localhost databases, they would be on your hard drive. The best program to do this is MySQL Front.

Simply select your database and load your file using the menus. It is all GUI and works great.
          I am new but a quick study. I have successfully downloaded the program, loaded, and connected to my database. But this still does not answer my question.

In my root directory... / I have a file named databaseforum070102.sql. This is the file created from the live site. I do not see where it is in this GUI to retreive this file and restore this to the local database.

Mmmm - must be another of my brain farts.

~Kehf

Comment

If you can putty into your local site, try this:

mysql -u MySqlusername -p emptydatabasename < /home/databaseforum070102.sql

Adjust the home bit to where the file is of course, you'll be prompted for your password and the .sql file will be setup in the new database.

Help this helps.

Lats...
            Lats...

Comment

Originally posted by Kehfera

I am new but a quick study. I have successfully downloaded the program, loaded, and connected to my database. But this still does not answer my question.

In my root directory... / I have a file named databaseforum070102.sql. This is the file created from the live site. I do not see where it is in this GUI to retreive this file and restore this to the local database.

Mmmm - must be another of my brain farts.

~Kehf
              Run MySQL Front and connect to your MySQL Server on your local machine. In the left column will be a list of databases. Double click the one you want to import into. Then At the top where the menus are click on "Im/Export". The first option is "Import Text File". Using that option you can import your backup into your local database.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X