Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restrict enregistrement by email domain

Hi there,

I would like to restrict the registration of new users only for 1 domain.
    Users should register using their mail (user)@domain.com and ONLY with this domain.
    Users already registered won't need to change.

Is it possible and if yes how ?
    Thx in advance

If you go into the Admin Control Panel and click on vBulletin Options you will be able to enter this in under [Banning Options].
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

That's not there... all I got is :

IPs to ban: to block specific or ranged ips

Email addresses to ban : bon specific or [email protected]

I don't have the option to disallow all email adresses BUT @domain.com

Comment

that would require hacking the register.php file. i recommend posting a hack request on www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
          that would require hacking the register.php file. i recommend posting a hack request on www.vbulletin.org
          ok, thank you

Comment

Actually if you list email address in the "Email to Ban" field, they can't register with those email addresses which effectively blocks them from your system. No hacking required.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Impossible to list all domains...

Comment

Just put the domain name in as explained under Banning Options under vbulletin Options:

Email addresses to ban

Email Ban Lists: You may ban certain email addresses from registering on your forums. To ban a specific email, type the full email address (as in, [email protected]). To ban all email addresses from certain domains, such as hotmail, simply type the domain name (as in hotmail.com)- that will prevent anyone using a hotmail address from registering. Put a space between each banned email.

so say all free addresses? Your list will look like this:

hotmail.com mail.com geocities.com yahoo.com
                There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

he would have to list every domain. there must be millions.

Comment

pattern matching

I too am having problems getting the "Email addresses to ban" feature to work properly.

The way the feature is described in the on-page text
                    ( ~~/admin/options.php )
                    I would expect that by specifiying "yahoo" as one of the "items" within the space-delimited list, any email address in which "yahoo" appears (as a substring) would be blocked/refused.
                    So, the single "yahoo" entry would block any of these:
                    [email protected]
                    [email protected]
                    [email protected]
                    @yahoo
                    In this example wouldn't a single entry of "yahoo" block/match all four ~~ making the other entries redundant?Can anyone confirm this?

Our site runs vBulletin 2.2.6
                    When I became the admin, I immediately realized this feature wasn't working "as advertised"... and quickly discovered that the MOST time-consuming daily administrative chore is "moderating" all the @hotmail applicants who get processed and land in the "awaiting moderation" queue.

Anyhow, the FIRST problem I discovered (accidently, by copying the contents of the "ban list" textarea box into a text editor ~~ for sorting) was that CARRIAGE RETURNS had been used!
                    -=-
                    Yes, the "instructions" say SEPARATE ENTRIES WITH SPACES, but I can't fault my predecessor(s) for their mistake ~~ the small size of the textarea is just the right size to wordwrap each entry so that it APPEARS that each is on its own line.
                    -=-
                    After "cleaning" our list of ban entries, I removed all carriage returns and pasted the all-on-a-single-line string back into the textarea and "Saved Changes".
                    -=-
                    Darn it! The feature STILL isn't working!
                    I sure would appreciate suggestions as to what could be causing the problem.

Here are some things I've wondered. I haven't tested all these conditions to see if any of them does, in fact, cause the "banned email addresses" feature to stop working:

If the overall string begins with a space character, will vBulletin fail to read/parse past that point?

Is "@yahoo" an acceptible item?

If I accidently enter two identical "items", will that cause a problem? I can understand that additional entries will add overehead to the substring parsing, but would it "break" the feature?

What if (and it may well happen. our blocklist is HUGE) our blocklist contains ALL four of these somewhere in it:
                    @yahoo
                    yahoo.com
                    yahoo.co.uk
                    Would this situation "break" anything?

In "guessing/wondering", my latest is to wonder whether non-dotted entries might break the feature. I just removed "hotmail",
                    and per the on-page instructions, I enumerated "hotmail.com"
                    ~~ also means I would need to enumerate "hotmail.msn.com" etc. separately (ad nauseum)

Comment

Re: pattern matching

Originally posted by sparky2
                      I too am having problems getting the "Email addresses to ban" feature to work properly.
                      it does work, dont separate by a line break, separate by spaces only. NO @ symbols unless its a whole email address.

Free email addies?

hotmail.com yahoo.com geocities.com angelfire.com tripod.com mail.com topcities.com

List them like above
                      There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

As much detail as I provided (maybe too much), perhaps I was not clear.

Yes, I understand ~~ items delimited by spaces, not carriageReturns/LineBreaks.

There are no items of the type "@whatever"
                        (beginning with @)

Currently, there are no non-dotted "items"

perhaps vBulletin is CHOKING on some of the listed domains, like rabbit.dufus.cc or squiggle.co.uk ???

Comment

Make sure you have the banning options enabled ("Enable Banning Options?").

Comment

Originally posted by Bouddha

ok, thank you
                            Eva2000 has a huge list of free email domains that you can copy and paste into your admin cp. I just did this a few days ago. Though it is not complete, you can watch people when they sign up, check on the email address and then add the free email domain name to your list. Look for the thread about eva2000's email list in the chit chat forum, the thread is HERE.

Simply go to eva2000's site and it's listed under vBulletin.

Odil

Comment

Yes, I'm aware that "Enable Banning Options?" must be set to "yes". Ours is, but I *STILL* can't get the "Banned email domains" feature working!

I did a search, here in the vBulletin.com forums, and can see that a lot of other people are having the same problem. One guy claims that each entry CAN be on its own line, as long a space precedes and another space follows the domain listed on each line. (FWIW, so far I've kept everything all on one looooong line.)

My latest thought:
                              I'm wondering whether the overall one-line string needs to BEGIN with a space char and also END with a space ~~ regardless what / how much is in between. I'll try that next and report back here.

I'm a bit peeved that after 4 months we finally place our FIRST "premium support" request... and I can't get a definitive answer

ps:
                              I grabbed the eva2000 list.
                              FWIW, when I sorted it & removed duplicates, there are 12,239 entries remaining.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X