• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mishkan
    replied
    Originally posted by GTI-R Kid
    The address for the board we're having problems with is

http://www.maxed-ie.net/forum/
    I just registered and posted a message in your "Suggestions and Feedback" forum... then I went to your forum home page and clicked on "view new posts"... and my post did show up on the list.

Did you already fix the problem?

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    What really sucks is when I need my "View New Posts" date later in the day, and I get an email notification, check the post in the notification, and then curse to high heaven because I forgot and thus broke VNP for the next time I visit.

Leave a comment:

• GTI-R Kid
    replied
    @ Mishkan - Yeah that board is working alright with the new posts. I wont bother going into the list of things that dont work on it as its soon to be deleted once we get the new ones running properly.The address for the board we're having problems with is

http://www.maxed-ie.net/forum/

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• mishkan
    replied
    I just went to your web site, by clicking on your "www" button below your post... and I joined your board... http://blinkin.phpwebhosting.com/~rboyz/forums/.

I tried the "view new posts" link and did get results.

However, I notice that your footer says "Powered by: vBulletin 2.2.4", so maybe this isn't the board you're talking about. Can you provide a link to the board that you're having the problem with?

Leave a comment:

• GTI-R Kid
    replied
    Having read thru this whole thread i'm still none the wiser for a solution.

We uploaded 2.2.6 to the new server and bar a few problems (solved by the support team - thank you) everything was running fine and we were ready to launch. When we clicked new posts the boards returned Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

We've now upgraded to 2.2.7 and its the same problem - it doesnt return any results. Is it a bug or whats the fix please?

Leave a comment:

• mishkan
    replied
    I'm so glad it's worked out for you. You're very welcome for any help... I'm glad that I was able to help! It's a nice switch from always being the one asking for the help.

Leave a comment:

• Ido1128
    replied
    Excellent instructions Mishkan...it worked perfectly...just one tiny little problem but its not a big matter...i found the $newposts and edited it with your html, problem was for some reason it didnt work, i got page not displayed..but when i did a straight copy and paste on its own and it worked like charm... i now have the "View latest posts" on every page at the top. With the codes and everything i wasnt sure what i did wrong with the $newposts. I did exactly as instructed...removed it and replaced it with the html, no spaces and the proper info was inserted...but again its minor. i aint worried about it...what i ended up coming up with works great..

thx for all your help...

I~

Next case of brew is on me ...

Leave a comment:

• mishkan
    replied
    $newposts is in the forumhome template. See my post above... ^^^^^ ... to see how to open up this template.

After you open it up, click on the "edit menu" at the top of your web browser, and select "find on this page". Type $newposts in the box and there you go... it will find and highlight $newposts in the template.

$newposts is a variable that calls in the code that displays "view new posts" on the forum home page. If you replace it with my link code, then you won't have problem 1.

To solve problem 2, just remove the target="_blank" part of the code below...

< a href="http://www.mydomain.com/forums/search.php?action=getdaily&days=3&s=$session[sessionhash]" target="_blank">View Latest Posts< /a>

Keep me "posted"...

Leave a comment:

• Ido1128
    replied
    well i couldnt find what you stated "$newposts". I just copy and pasted the html you created and placed it somewhere in the "Header" colum. It made a link for me which works perfectly..but solving 1 problem, now made 2 problems.

First, im unable to find the section to where the old "view new posts" link is and delete or alter it with what you have supplied...second, the link you supplied opens a whole seperate web page when doing the search, which isnt really a big deal but it would be nice to keep the search on the same page...any way that this can be done??..(know what I mean?) On my site, when the link is clicked, it opens a whole new page when doing the search...its hard to explain.

Any ideas?

thx for your help in advance..

I~

Leave a comment:

• Ido1128
    replied
    will do, thx..now atleast i know what to look for...'will keep you posted on the results...

Much appreciated..

I~
    Last edited by Ido1128; Tue 27 Aug '02, 4:52pm.

Leave a comment:

• mishkan
    replied
    A cold one sounds great... save one for me...

As for the code, how about simply finding this in your forumhome template...
    Code:
    $newposts
    ... and replacing it with the html code I gave you? Try that and let me know how it works for you.

Leave a comment:

• Ido1128
    replied
    sorry but this gets so frustrating at times, my appologiese to anyone who takes my questions and frustrations the wrong way. When doing a search a bunch of different variety of answers come up, but when something is not understood when read, it is next to imposible to solve it is the way it feels like...ive been experimenting left right and center.....i will learn this stuff if it kills me...cause if i dont my wife will kill me herself..lol

What ive done is managed to copy your html script that you made on this thread and inserted it in my Admin CP templates...the link shows up and it works...but i have to place it in the right spot now...i just inserted it on the top of my website...but the main thing is, it works...

im gonna go have a cold bud and pack it in for the night...

thx all...

I~

Leave a comment:

• mishkan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ido1128
    the only think i can understand is this alittle...but where to insert it is the question..

< a href="http://www.mydomain.com/forums/search.php?action=getdaily&days=3&s=$session[sessionhash]" target="_blank">View Latest Posts< /a>
    To start, just put it on your forum home page. That template is called "forumhome".

admin cp > templates > modify

Click on "expand" next to "Forum Home Page Templates".

Click on "edit" next to "forumhome".

At that point, you need to know a little HTML, in order to find a good place to insert the code. I'll take a look at the original forumhome template, and I'll try to find a good place for you. I can't just tell you my own forumhome code, because it's way too modified, and you probably wouldn't want it. Anyway, I'll give it a shot for you.

Leave a comment:

• mishkan
    replied
    ok, im having this problem like most are having with the posts not remaining up long enough. I thought it was the cookie issue but when i extended it higher from 9000, ive encountered this problem where it showed people on line that werent there...but anyhow i reseted the time out cookies back to 9000 (its default) and everything is ok now except the "view new posts" problem im having.
    The default is 900.

I did some research on why new posts/threads dont remain up long when view new posts is selected. results = ive read so many different ways to fix this particular problem from inserting an html code to god knows whatelse..i am not good with these kind of things, isnt there a switch somewhere in this program that will allow the new posts/threads to remain more than 15minutes...i mean its a simple thing to where it should be the flick of a switch...why must everything be so complicated...
    There is no simple switch. The solution in this thread is really not that complicated, although I know that everything seems very overwhelming when you're still very new to vB. Give yourself time. Don't be too hard on yourself.

thx for your reply in advance..

Please dont post anymore links saying " read this"....ive had it with reading, I cant read what I dont understand.... just give me the gif of it...
    Get ready for a mini-lecture.

Really, the only way to learn vB is by continuing to read, and to read, and to read some more. If you're too overwhelmed, then just take a break. We all need time to mentally digest new information. You can always come back to the forums, when you are ready to take on more.

As you already know, I've had a number of problems with vB, and after incessantly browsing these forums, I would often have two arms full of threads with all kinds of suggestions. Sometimes, the material was just over my head for the moment, and I would face the fact that, okay, so this problem I can't solve right now because it's too beyond me. Remember... if it's urgent, like a bug, then you can always fill out a support ticket.

Anyway, I would put those threads in a folder for the future. As I gradually learn how to solve my simpler problems, then I gradually learn how vB works... the terminology, the template system, which php files did what things, and so on. And I find that eventually I can tackle the harder problems that I couldn't handle before.

Long story short... we'll all help you as best we can... but you have to be willing and able to do the reading, even when it's hard. And you need to take a break when you're overwhelmed... and try to not vent at anyone who's trying to help... or people might shy away from your posts.

Leave a comment:

• Ido1128
    replied
    the only think i can understand is this alittle...but where to insert it is the question..

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X