My forums down for the fourth time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My forums down for the fourth time

I don't know why this keep happening. But, the solution each time is for me to call my host, then the host to call the sever tech support. I believe the host told me that they restart the MySQL and everything is fine, but I may have misunderstood.

Neither myself, the host, or the server tech support knows why this keeps happening.

I'll share all the information that I have concerning this problem.

My forums address is www.pcfootball.net/forums

First, all four times this problem has occurred, it has occurred between 11AM and 1PM, west coast time.

Here's the email I get each time someone tries to access my forums. of course, the time and date change accordingly.
    Database error in vBulletin :

Link-ID == false, connect failed
    mysql error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

mysql error number: 2002

Date: Sunday 16th of June 2002 03:00:29 PM
    Script: /forums/index.php
    Referer:
    Now, here's the message displayed in the browser whenever someone tries to access my forums when this angering situation is occurring:

Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/pcfootballnet/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 32

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
    the misspelling of the word "apologize" just makes this worse...

Anyway, this time, I looked in my db_mysql file, and I looked at line 32. It doesn't say much. I'll share it with you below

PHP Code:
    $this->link_id=mysql_pconnect($this->server,$this->user); 
    OK, short of attaching my db_mysql file, I'm not sure of any more information I can provide, except to assure you that I made no changes to the db_mysql file, or any others, to set off this mysterious and angering problem.

even if i do get a hold of my host, and he gets a hold of the server tech support, and they restart whatever they restart to make it work again, i still want to make things so that this problem NEVER occurs again. I know it's possible. I see sites run all the time who don't have this problem....

any help would be appreciated. if you need more info, let me know what it is, and i'll provide it.

thanks in advance

Can you post the entire set of errors?

Satan

Comment

Re: Can you post the entire set of errors?

Originally posted by hellsatan

Satan
      entire set? i don't understand your request.

I posted the error in the browser when trying to access my forums, and i posted the error emailed to me whenever someone tries to access the forums.

I don't understand what other set of errors you are referring to.

Comment

This is a server problem. Perhaps the host is restarting MySQL on a set schedule. At any rate I wouldn't feel too confident about a host that can't troubleshoot server related issues.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

looks like mysql crashed or mysql was stopped and restarted or mysql on your server isn't optimally configured for such mysql loads/activity

or that your host doesn't know how to optimally configure mysql so instead is restarting mysql at those set times you get the error message
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Re: My forums down for the fourth time

Originally posted by XFLBret

the misspelling of the word "apologize" just makes this worse...
            There must be two different ways of spelling this word... http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=apologise.

Sounds like you're running out of connections to your server, ask your host about what you can do about it...the solutions are different for everyone.

Marc.
            Marc Hanlon
            Rushland.net

Comment

so what I'm seeing here is that I'm completely helpless on my end, and I'm at the complete and total mercy of my host and his server. is this correct? there's absolutely nothing at all i can do on my end to prevent this from happening again?

Comment

Try switching off persisant connections as stated in this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=41678

Also, you should have read this thread before starting this one.

Marc.
                Marc Hanlon
                Rushland.net

Comment

Originally posted by MarcHanlon
                  Try switching off persisant connections as stated in this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=41678

Also, you should have read this thread before starting this one.

Marc.
                  I searched and didnt find this thread, but ok, whatever. thanks for the link.

could someone explain to a rookie a little more about persistant connections, such as what they are, and what, if any, side effects would result from switching them off?

Comment

Ah, I'll let the nice people of PHP.net (who have done a great job producing the best manual I've ever seen) explain this too:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/feature...onnections.php

Marc.

P.s. I know what you mean, there's so many threads on this, it's very bewildering trying to find if something has been raised before.
                    Marc Hanlon
                    Rushland.net

Comment

i don't know if it's coincidence, or if that fixed the problem, but after i edited the config.php file, and uploaded the modified one, my forums were again accessible...

so, i read that web page, and, due to me knowing not much, none of it made any sense to me at all.

i guess my simple question would be whether or not my forums are going to take a performance hit because of me changing that setting?

Comment

Originally posted by XFLBret
                        i guess my simple question would be whether or not my forums are going to take a performance hit because of me changing that setting?
                        Simple answer - yes. Though, it's complicated so I may just have sparked a debate with other PHP progammers

Marc.

P.s. I think the performance hit is negligible if this succeeds in stopping your "crashes"
                        Marc Hanlon
                        Rushland.net

Comment

well, it's happening again, despite the fact that I took the advice I was given before...

a little different this time though. I'll offer all the information i can.

first, this time, it CLAIMS (this situation is starting to make me think computers are capable of lying) that the error is on line 34 of db_mysql.php. here's line 34 in it's entirety:

PHP Code:
                          $this->link_id=mysql_connect($this->server,$this->user); 
                          now, the email message i get each time someone tries to pull up my forums is this...

Database error in vBulletin :

Link-ID == false, connect failed
                          mysql error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)

mysql error number: 2002

Date: Saturday 22nd of June 2002 03:30:25 AM
                          Script: /forums/index.php
                          Referer: http://pcfootball.net/
                          and, the error message on the web page this time is the following...

Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/pcfootballnet/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 34

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/pcfootballnet/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 34
                          this is now the FIFTH time this has happened to me. Please, someone help me. Tell me what I need to do to make this NEVER happen again. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
                            This is a server problem. Perhaps the host is restarting MySQL on a set schedule. At any rate I wouldn't feel too confident about a host that can't troubleshoot server related issues.
                            My original comment still stands. This is a server related issue. The only solution within your control is to continue putting pressure on your host to fix this server. If that doesn't work, then your only other options are to live with the problem or find a new host.

From http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/a/Can_not...to_server.html:
                            The error (2002) Can't connect to ... normally means that there isn't a MySQL server running on the system or that you are using a wrong socket file or TCP/IP port when trying to connect to the mysqld server.
                            Here are some reasons the Can't connect to local MySQL server error might occur:
                            • mysqld is not running.
                            • You are running on a system that uses MIT-pthreads. If you are running on a system that doesn't have native threads, mysqld uses the MIT-pthreads package. See section 2.2.2 Operating Systems Supported by MySQL. However, all MIT-pthreads versions doesn't support Unix sockets. On a system without sockets support you must always specify the hostname explicitly when connecting to the server. Try using this command to check the connection to the server:
                              shell> mysqladmin -h `hostname` version
                            • Someone has removed the Unix socket that mysqld uses (default `/tmp/mysqld.sock'). You might have a cron job that removes the MySQL socket (for example, a job that removes old files from the `/tmp' directory). You can always run mysqladmin version and check that the socket mysqladmin is trying to use really exists. The fix in this case is to change the cron job to not remove `mysqld.sock' or to place the socket somewhere else. See section A.4.5 How to Protect or Change the MySQL Socket File `/tmp/mysql.sock'.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X