No announcement yet.

HELP - invalid session when attempting to vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two that have reported it to me are both running Cookies. I just got a message back from the other one and they are both running AOL 7.0 . Strange thing is that they seem to be working right now for one of them but still not working for the other one. So it's an intermittent problem.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    Webmaster of http://www.turbodieselregister.com

Comment

You should still check their profiles in the Admin CP to verify for yourself what their settings are.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I did - that's how I found out.
        -Steve St.Laurent

Comment

Ask them to use Internet Explorer or another browser and not the actual AOL one, there is a problem due to the proxy servers that are used.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

At least one of them is using IE 6.0 with AOL as his ISP.
            -Steve St.Laurent

Comment

A bunch of my members have been complaining about this for a while as well - been meaning to report it but I can't reproduce it.

Comment

As I said he has to minimise AOL and start up IE6 by double clicking the icon on the desktop or use another browser such as Mozilla or Opera. Also make sure that they have cookies turned on.

Note: This only effects the AOL built in browser.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I'm a computer consultant by trade and I deal with troubleshooting hard to repeat stuff like this all the time. The thing I have seen that are common on the reported instances of this on both my board and on here (did a search and came up with several like posts) are that users are either using AOL or are on a network with a proxy server. However, it seems that it works sometimes for some of those users and never for others. Maybe we can all ask a standardized set of questions of users that report this problem and see if we can find something in common. I'll start the list out and if anyone (especially the vB support team) has anything to add to it please do.

1. What ISP are you using?

2. Are you on a network with a proxy server?

3. Are you using proprietary software for your dial in connection, ie AOL's dialer instead of the built in windows dialer?

4. What browser and version are you using?

5. Can you ever answer polls, in other words is this is an intermittent problem?

6. Are you using cookies or sessions to log in to the site (you can check this by going to user cp->edit options and then checking to see whether "Browse board with cookies?" is set to yes or no)?

Hopefully we can nail down something in common about this problem so it can be solved.
                  -Steve St.Laurent

Comment

Most AOL users (or others) wont know they are using a proxy and sometimes it can be a transparent proxy which the user is unable to change.
                    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Well, well, well I've just experienced it myself now - invalid session when voting in a poll.

I then tried the "click here to try again" link and it voted fine?!?

The machine I'm on right now is an NT4 workstation with SP6a, IE6, and through a Squid proxy.

Comment

Just got it again, and yet again clicking the "click here" link made it work

Comment

I'm still having this problem

I'm still seeing this problem and the "click here" does not work for me.... I've decieded to upgrade the whole site to 2.2.6 and then refresh the database and go live.... Are there any DB schema changes between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 that I need to worry about? If so what would be the best way to proceed with this test upgrade.

Kevin

Comment

My members are getting the same errors. I got this error once, but clicking the link fixed it.

I am running vb2.2.6. php 4.2.2

Comment

Looks like it's an AOL problem after all.

If so, would vB release a fix (if it can be fixed at all) or should we wait for AOL to fix their browser up?

Comment

A 2.2.7 release would attempt to fix these issues. The workaround at this time is really to use IE instead, but we are looking at the problem.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X