Server Installation Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Installation Problem

I uploaded my vBulletin to my server. No problem.

That's where the success ends. Apparently, I have a problem with the information in my "config.php" file. None of the documentation tells me EXACTLY what information is needed. Yes, I did download the entire manual. It's vague at best. No, my server VO dosen't know. So, here's the questions:

1) hostname: what goes here? VO? My URL name? What?

2) dbusername: Is this my username I use to access VO? Is it one that I dream up? Is this the same one that I use to FTP my files? Is it the one that I use to log onto the VO control panel?

3) dbpassword: Is this my password I use to access VO? Is it one that I dream up? Is this the same one that I use to FTP my files? Is it the one that I use to log onto the VO control panel?

Please help! I only had 4 hairs on my head when I started this. I'm down to only 2 now and I really don't want to go bald.

It would have been nice to see this information in the instruction manual. It seems to me that "key" information is left out intentionally. Maybe vBulletin is counting on it's customers to get so frustrated that they'll pruchase their set-up service. If I can't get this running, well.......I won't subscribe to their set-up service either.

Re: Server Installation Problem

Originally posted by w5blt
    I uploaded my vBulletin to my server. No problem.

That's where the success ends. Apparently, I have a problem with the information in my "config.php" file. None of the documentation tells me EXACTLY what information is needed. Yes, I did download the entire manual. It's vague at best. No, my server VO dosen't know. So, here's the questions:

1) hostname: what goes here? VO? My URL name? What?

2) dbusername: Is this my username I use to access VO? Is it one that I dream up? Is this the same one that I use to FTP my files? Is it the one that I use to log onto the VO control panel?

3) dbpassword: Is this my password I use to access VO? Is it one that I dream up? Is this the same one that I use to FTP my files? Is it the one that I use to log onto the VO control panel?

Please help! I only had 4 hairs on my head when I started this. I'm down to only 2 now and I really don't want to go bald.

It would have been nice to see this information in the instruction manual. It seems to me that "key" information is left out intentionally. Maybe vBulletin is counting on it's customers to get so frustrated that they'll pruchase their set-up service. If I can't get this running, well.......I won't subscribe to their set-up service either.
    1. Hostname, in your instance, since you're either on shared or dedicated, is simply 'localhost' (w/o quotes).

2. Your database username is what you log into phpMyAdmin with. It may be the same as the username you log into your control panel with, it may not be.

3. DB password is most likely what you log into your control panel with.

4. vBulletin was forced to leave out this information, as not everybody has the same host. Therefore, if they put in instructions, it will differ widely from host to host, from user to user.
    :)

Comment

eiSecure

I did the changes as you suggested.

1) I used "localhost"

2) I went to my control panel and logged on with the proper username/password. Just to make sure that I had them correct.

I did the edit on the "config.php" file and uploaded the corrections.

Now I get: Warning: Access denied for user: and Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user: and Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in .

And lastly, it says The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please go back to the last step and ensure that you have entered all your login details correctly.

OK, now what?

Comment

eiSecure

I did the changes as you suggested.

1) I used "localhost"

2) I went to my control panel and logged on with the proper username/password. Just to make sure that I had them correct.

I did the edit on the "config.php" file and uploaded the corrections.

Now I get: Warning: Access denied for user: and Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user: and Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in .

And lastly, it says The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please go back to the last step and ensure that you have entered all your login details correctly.

OK, now what?
        for cpanel based hosts did you

1. create new mysql user in cpanel
        2. assign that user to the mysql database via the add button in cpanel's mysql module ?
        3. use the format siteusername_mysqlusername for username ?
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

eva2000

Hmm...You may have just hit the nail on the head.

No, I didn't do that. Lemme dive back into the manual and see if it tells me how to got about it.

Thanks!

Comment

Well, here we go again...

I went to MySQL Downloads and downloaded a "Windows" version of "MySQL 3.23.49 Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP (12M)". I unzipped it and installed it. It set it up at c:mysql. So far, so good.

Then, I went to c:\mysql\bin\MySqlManager.exe and fired it up. It brings up the MySqlManager window. I clicked on the MySql folder and it brings up another window "Register Server".

By default, this form has the following information:
            SERVER: servername
            HOST: local host

In the "login box":

USE TRUSTED CONNECTIONS is not checked
            USE STANDARD SECURITY is not checked

LOGIN ID: root
            PASSWORD: "is blank"

DISPLAY SERVER STATUS IN SERVER MANAGER: is not checked

also, this message is on the status bar: Error connecting to server MySql...(Can't connect to MySql. server on 'localhost' 10061))

I found a URL that seems to be helpful which is
            MySQL Basics -- A Tutorial that I'm trying to work my way through. In this tutorial, I get to the point in DOS where it is instructing me to C:\mysql\bin>mysqladmin create database01. When I try to execute this command, I get an error message telling me that it can't connect to "localhost" 10061 and that the port is 3306.

It appears that I'm back to the same problem in properly identifying things like username, password, etc. for MY server. VO is little or no help even with this constant stream of emails back and fourth. I'm now down to 3 hairs on my head.

Any suggestions about where I can find the answers to these problems?

Comment

I just got this message from VO:

"Everything you've provided is output from a windows machine, we run linux. We do not support customers CGI's VB board or not. It's up to the customer to currently configure and setup their cgi scripts. Any support we give is only for the server itself. I know that many people are running VB boards without any problems on our servers...."

It's sad that vBulletin didn't point this out in the beginning.

Apparently, vBulletin has set up the use of their Forum software for expert developers. The process to get one of their forums up and running is so complex, advanced knowledge in several areas is necessary. This is a blatent misrepresentation of the ease of getting their sofware up and running.

The recommendation for VO's vBulletin knowledge is equally misrepresenting. I have never seen such poor instructions and documentations. It is again very obvious that vBulletin sets up potential customers to purchase their product and then FORCES the less than advanced user to purchase their INSTALLATION. To top that off, neither vBulletin or VO offers any telephone support. This is the least friendly user support system that I've ever been associated with.

And now, I have no idea what MySQL download is needed.
              Last edited by w5blt; Sat 8 Jun '02, 6:01am.

Comment

1. i thought you were virtually hosted with VO ? or do you have your own server at VO ?
                2. what windows version are you running ?
                3. it's not that hard to setup you need to read the relevant install manuals from the respective sites

i did a winxp apache/php/mysql install for the first time ever a few weeks ago by:

1. install apache for windows binary
                http://httpd.apache.planetmirror.com/docs/windows.html

2. install mysql binary
                http://mysql.he.net/doc/W/i/Windows_...tallation.html

3. install php manually as SAPI module
                http://no.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php

prepare to do the reading
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

in all honesty i recommend Linux/apache/php/mysql though

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
                    1. i thought you were virtually hosted with VO ? or do you have your own server at VO ?
                    2. what windows version are you running ?
                    3. it's not that hard to setup you need to read the relevant install manuals from the respective sites

i did a winxp apache/php/mysql install for the first time ever a few weeks ago by:

1. install apache for windows binary
                    http://httpd.apache.planetmirror.com/docs/windows.html

2. install mysql binary
                    http://mysql.he.net/doc/W/i/Windows_...tallation.html

3. install php manually as SAPI module
                    http://no.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php

prepare to do the reading
                    1) I have a web hosting account with VO. I don't own a server.
                    2) I'm running Win98
                    3) What I really need to know is in what sequence to do what? The iBulletin manual is, as far as I can see, only generic at best. There's a whole host of varibles and options that are not even touched upon.

Comment

1) I have a web hosting account with VO. I don't own a server.
                      2) I'm running Win98
                      3) What I really need to know is in what sequence to do what? The iBulletin manual is, as far as I can see, only generic at best. There's a whole host of varibles and options that are not even touched upon.
                      huh ? if you have a VO virtual a/c it is running linux and already has php/mysql setup for you

all you need to do is in cpanel's mysql module

1. create mysql database
                      2. create new mysql username and password
                      3. add new mysql username to newly created database
                      4. upload vB php files to a/c via ftp in ASCII mode
                      5. rename config.php.new to config.php in /admin directory and change mysqlusername and mysql password created in step 2 with format siteusername_mysqlusername for mysql username (specific to only cpanel based hosts)
                      6. enter your mysql databasename you created in step 1
                      7. run /admin/install.php from browser for your site a/c i.e. yourdomain.com/admin/install.php or where ever you uploaded the files
                      8. read carefully and click through the steps at the bottom of the page and read instructions given on those pages if any
                      9. DO NOT under any circumstances refresh any of the install step pages if you have an error - instead stop there and view source code of page and copy and paste the error in a post on this forum for guidance as to how to proceed

Comment

Similar Problem

Originally posted by eva2000

all you need to do is in cpanel's mysql module

What is cpanel?

1. create mysql database

How?

2. create new mysql username and password

How?

3. add new mysql username to newly created database

How

As I am having problems perhaps the above could be explained to me .. I cannot for the life of me see how I can create the above files..
                        Many Thanks

StevieBee

:p Always the Optimist :p

:eek: Never the Groom :eek:

Comment

CPanel is software for administrating your site.

http://yourdomain.com/cpanel/

Its installed on most major web hosts but they may have their own version of the script or something similar. But most will allow you to create mysql databases+users.

Scott
                          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Once in CPanel:

CPanel -> Advanced Menu -> SQL Database

Then create a new user and a new database.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm waiting resolution of problems at VO:

I can't:
                              1) access my web page at all
                              2) access my FTP
                              3) can't access my Cpanel

Until, they resolve these issues, everything else is mute.

Oh well....will this ever end?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X