Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

User trying to register but it says he's banned yet I haven't banned anyone! ~ Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you've done all you can. You verified that the account works from your computer so you know the email address isn't banned. You've checked and made sure his IP isn't banned. The strange thing is that if this was a cookie problem and he really did try using a different browser, then it's highly unlikely both browsers would have this same problem. You might suggest he try to accessing from another copmtuer to see if it works, but beyond that there's really not much you can do.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Do you have an .htaccess file that you could have banned that way?
      Is your host banning IP's from AOL?

It could be a problem via your host having problems with AOl"s proxy.

Contact your host to see whta kind of filter's they are using on their systems in regards to banning ip ranges from accessin their servers.

Also, have him download netscape or opera (AOL uses IE so him using IE again doens't help) and try accessing it through those browsers. IF the same error happens, then its soemthing with your host. not you, or him.
      Last edited by WizyWyg; Sat 25 May '02, 12:59pm.
      There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

Originally posted by WizyWyg
        Do you have an .htaccess file that you could have banned that way?
        Is your host banning IP's from AOL?

It could be a problem via your host having problems with AOl"s proxy.
        I thought of that - except that the error screen he's getting would seem to indicate this is a vBulletin message ('board administrator').

Which brings up a good question. The phrase "You are banned...' does not appear in any of the default templates. N9ne, does this phrase appear in either your error_banemail or error_banip template? Does it appear in any of your templates? Is this, in fact, a vBulletin message he's getting?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Apparently, what he can see is all jumbled up. He can see the forum banner and the navigation across the top, he can see the forums but he can't see the welcome panel or the newsfader. It's very strange, and below the banner and navigation, it shows that message.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
            I thought of that - except that the error screen he's getting would seem to indicate this is a vBulletin message ('board administrator').

Which brings up a good question. The phrase "You are banned...' does not appear in any of the default templates. N9ne, does this phrase appear in either your error_banemail or error_banip template? Does it appear in any of your templates? Is this, in fact, a vBulletin message he's getting?
            I just checked those two templates and that error message is not in there!

I think there is some meddling on his part? Maybe he is confused by the matter and is interpreting the information wrong, maybe I confused him with my instructions or questions. He seemed pretty clueless on why the problem was arising. When I asked him what browser he was using, he didn't have an answer for a while, and then I asked him again and he said he doesn't know what I mean.

Comment

I wonder is he's behind some sort of proxy or is running some firewall software that is causing a problem. Whatever it is, I think the problem is on his end.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X