PhP or PhP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhP or PhP3

The bottom line seems that if the host runs php3 then I should install the php3 version and obviously phpversion with php .

what kind of problems will this cause in the long term should I choose not to follow that rule.

I have just installed php on a php3 system, barring one minor problem, installation has gone very smoothly bearing in mind my very minimal expertise and experience.

I undersatnd that the php3 version uses heavier system resources and has less features.

Aside from the long term effects, will those features not work fullstop on a php3 system, irrespective as to whether the php version is installed or not and will it still be heavy on resources.

Ultimately should I install php3 rather than the one I have just installed php.

It is not a problem as I am still in the testing stage, honesty I would prefer.

regards

Sean

Installing the .php version vs. the .php3 version is a matter of what your host supports as far as file names. There are no functional differences as far as I know between the two versions.

With vBulletin 3, the minimum requirement will be PHP4.0.4 so as far as future problems your host will need to upgrade his 4 or 5 year old PHP installation soon or you will need to find a new host. I personally don't understand why there are hosts still running PHP3.x as it is less stable, less secure and not nearly as resource efficient.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X