No announcement yet.

using a forum backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with the vbulletin tool that is provided through admin.

Comment

Sh*t

I ran it with an older version and it seems to ave worked. Damn. You must be right. Anyway, thanks for your help. most appreciated.

Comment

Unfortunately because of PHP timeout issues this is not a reliable backup method with anything but a small database. The recommended method of creating a backup is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Do you still have the original db files backed up somewhere?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Fortunately I do, although it means the site will be down for the remainder of the weekend. Because i wont have access to the old server until Monday.

Comment

Well at least you have the backup. It could have been worse. Be sure to use the backup procedure listed here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks..

Thansk very much for the help. I will follow that procedure from now on.

Is there anyway to automate the back to my local machine? I backup all my other pages, include some access databases with FTP voyager, this happens once a day. But didnt know how to do it with SQL.

Comment

If your host provides access to cron jobs, you could use the backup command to create a backup file every day. You could then use the same FTP process to download this to your local computer.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Well, its a dedicated server so i can do pretty much what I like, but cron sounds like a unix thing. Do you have something similar for Win2k?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm pretty new ot all of this?

Comment

I think you'd use Windows Task Scheduler as the equivalent for Unix's cron application.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ron#post271033

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ron#post214853

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ron#post124314

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

A change of plan...

Hi again,

I have had to move to a new host because I was just having too much trouble with the previous.

I do not have access to the mysql server directly and having been trying to figure out a way to restore the dayabase. I have downloaded DBTools and tried a restore, but this keeps coming up with errors when I run the SQL query tool. There doesn't seem to be anyway to do it with phpmyadmin. Can you uggest another tool that I might try?

??

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X