using a forum backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using a forum backup

Ok i backed up my forum no probs, then i downloaded it onto my hardrive, in a worst case situation, what can be acheived with a backup ? in otherwords what would i do with my backup if i completely trashed my forum ? would i just need to do a fresh instal of vbulletin then import the backup somehow ?? if you guys can give me a few ideas on whats possible and what isnt with a backup i would be most gratefull.

to use the backup in a full restore of your data you need to

1. create a new database name
    2. upload backup.sql to web site
    3. run this command in telnet/shell

mysql -u mysqlusername -p newemptydatabasename < /path/to/backup.sql

this will import your data into newemptydatabasename

4. change your current vB's config.php to point to newemptydatabasename

5. that's it

remember to use the same vB version php files as the database for the backup
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply eva.

Comment

Originally posted by cdrtimes.com
        Thanks for the speedy reply eva.
        no probs
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

By the way, are you free for dinner tonight ?? short hop to me in germany

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
            to use the backup in a full restore of your data you need to

1. create a new database name
            2. upload backup.sql to web site
            3. run this command in telnet/shell

mysql -u mysqlusername -p newemptydatabasename < /path/to/backup.sql

this will import your data into newemptydatabasename

4. change your current vB's config.php to point to newemptydatabasename

5. that's it

remember to use the same vB version php files as the database for the backup
            Can you tell me how to do this at a comand prompt on a windows box

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tester94

Can you tell me how to do this at a comand prompt on a windows box

Thanks
              it's the same just need to specify windows paths to the executable and location of backup.sql
              Code:
              c:\path\to\bin\mysql -u mysqlusername -p newemptydatabasename < c:\path\to\backup.sql

Comment

Help

I have had a amchine crash and have had to reinstall everything from scratch. I have my own dedicated Win2k server so have no problem running anything.

I have followed the steps below, but the command just prmpts the help list in dos. So nothing actually happens it just gives you the commands for this program.

I created a database, but no tables. It just wont work. Does anyone have any suggestions. Please help.

Comment

What is the exact command you are using (minus the username and password), and what is the exact message?
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It's...

Thanks for the response.

mysql -u username -p database filename AND
                    mysql -u username database filename AND
                    mysql database filename

Same response from all.

I have also move the database file into the same directory as the mysql exe file so I didnt have to type out a whole path.

I cant type the message, as there isn't one. It just gives the help options in list form. Things like -u --username , -p --port, but there are a ton of them.

Comment

I have just notice there is a < in the comment listed above. Does this have to be included?

Comment

Absolutely. That's why it's there.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hmm. Ok. I followed another thread to this one and the other didn't have it in. I'll try and let you know. Thanks

Comment

Exellent.

Great, some improvement. It has prompted me for a password and then gave me the following error:

Error 1064 at line 3051521: You have an error in your SQL syntax near ' 'kiwi' > ' at line 1.

???

Comment

Unfortunately this sounds like an incomplete database backup. How did you create it?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X