No announcement yet.

Time related problems.. please help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just like to say i'm having the exact same problem as the creator of this thread. this started happening last night - the site was down for about half an hour (showing the "there is a slight problem with the database") error message.

the online list, the times, everything he listed is happening to me now. i even upgraded to 2.2.8 (i was still using 2.2.2) and all that did was erase all my hacks (though i am fully upgraded now)

anyway this is extremely confusing and frustrating

Comment

Originally posted by creep303
      just like to say i'm having the exact same problem as the creator of this thread. this started happening last night - the site was down for about half an hour (showing the "there is a slight problem with the database") error message.
      I'm guessing you don't run the server - it is hosted by someone else and you just run vBulletin on there ? This is the same for us.

In all my testing and questioning other people about things... I cannot reproduce the problem. It really does not appear to be related to the software at all.

I'm guessing that the problem we had was a result of someone (or something) messing with the server time on our test server. It was a TEST server after all - and who knows what people were doing with it. Unfortunately I have not been able to confirm whether there was anyone playing with the times when I was experiencing problems.

We have since moved to our production server and are testing our site there... and I have reinstalled all hacks (I uninstalled them when I started having problems just to make sure)... and there have been no problems since.

If it were truely a software problem with vBulletin or the hacks, I would expect it to be more regular. Completely random problems are usually the result of outside influence (someone or some other software changing the time on the server for example).

creep303: are your time problems random or is the time permanently wrong now ?

Comment

that is EXACTLY whats happening to me...the time problems are completely random. it'll be fine for 15 minutes and then one person's post jumps ahead over an hour (how much the time is off by seems to be random too)

we're using venturesonline as a host....so yeah i don't run the server =/ it seriously sounds like we're having the exact same problem.
        and it really sounds like the problem came from the server. like i said before, the board went down last night, everything was perfect, and now it's basically chaos

it's actually creating a "sticky" effect because of the post time of one of the thread's replies is so far ahead of the others (and other's threads) so a thread will just hang there about 4 threads down from the top for a while, then when the actual time catches up people will reply and their replies will be okay again.

Comment

Time problems like this are a problem with the server. You need to contact VO about this and let them know there's a time issue with that server.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Creep, I'm having the same problems and I am on VO!

I will put in a ticket tonight. Send me an email so I can point out you have the same problem. I sent a ticket in a week ago but they said it wasn't on their end.

I'm on Lake by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrooge
              Creep, I'm having the same problems and I am on VO!

I will put in a ticket tonight. Send me an email so I can point out you have the same problem. I sent a ticket in a week ago but they said it wasn't on their end.

I'm on Lake by the way.
              Whats up guys... I haven't had that problem since I created this thread, but I'd still like to know its origin. Like Steve said, it has got to revolve around VO's server clock. Every single problem I was having was related to some sort of time issue. Let us know what VO says about it, for future reference.

Comment

BREAKTHROUGH !!!!

Okay... our production servers on our host started having problems around the time that daylight savings changed (starts here in Aus the same day it finishes in the US).

After some testing and investigation - it turns out that it WAS a problem with the servers after all !!!! (yes, I know you vBulletin guys have been telling me this all along )

Anyway - the reason it was so difficult to reproduce and the errors seemed so random - was that our host has a clustered system. Several machines handle the traffic - and you will be redirected to one of them depending upon various criteria.

The problem for vBulletin was that one of these machines failed to adjust itself correctly for DST - so one of the machines in the cluster was out of time with the others.

When someone posted while connected to that machine - naturally the database got updated with the time that the bad server told it - but all the other machines in the cluster were on the correct times - so the bad posts appeared out of order.

Of course, it is not really possible to predict which machine in the cluster would be the one you connect to when you visit the bulletin board - so you couldn't work around it at all.

I managed to ask the right questions of the support staff at my hosting company - and sure enough - they found and fixed the problem. Since then we have had no problems at all.

I was able to fix the out of order posts by going into the vBulletin database (using phpMyAdmin) and editing the offending posts - adjusting the 'dateline' field as required. Essentially for every post which appeared out order I went in and subtracted 3600 (1 hour !!) from the dateline field, then ran "Update Thread Info" followed by "Update Forums Info" to fix up the rest of the tables (it didn't work unless I did it in that order).

So things are under control again, and we can rest easy once more in the knowledge that these vBulletin guys actually DO know what they are talking about

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share the solution. This may help others in the future. Or maybe at least get them to take us seriously next time!
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X