Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin CP Options : I want it slick

Hi guys,

I have done a search but not come up with any answers, so here we go.

In the Admin CP Options there are *many* things I can turn on and off that add features but also add load.

I used to run 50 threads per page but reduced this to 40 per page. My thoughts were that this would reduce queries.

Can anyone help me by lsting what features add heavily to server load and what features don't affect it much.

For instance, I want to keep the "dot" folders as they are very useful, however if this feature added to the load, I would be inclined to remove it.

All help appreciated

[veedee]
    Talking loud but aint saying nothing.

the amount of threads per page does not reduce queries, if you do lower the number if will reduce server load by a small bit.

You could try installing a PHP Cache engine if its a dedicated server to improve performance or if its a shared host they will probably install Zend Optimizer available from http://www.zend.com

Also consider getting your my.cnf optimized to improve mysql performance.

Hacks can also add a few queries to vBulletin so only install hacks which aren't going to increase the query number by a huge amount.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Cheers dude,

Originally posted by PPN
      the amount of threads per page does not reduce queries, if you do lower the number if will reduce server load by a small bit.

Kewl - reducing queries / load is what I am all about, I am battling with speed issues at the moment.

You could try installing a PHP Cache engine if its a dedicated server to improve performance or if its a shared host they will probably install Zend Optimizer available from http://www.zend.com
      I have got GZIP running afaik. I am also looking to setup and install PHP Accelerator v1.3 tonight. This should help too.

Also consider getting your my.cnf optimized to improve mysql performance.
      One of vB's finest has done this for me already

Hacks can also add a few queries to vBulletin so only install hacks which aren't going to increase the query number by a huge amount.
      Sure - I had hacked my site a fair bit but gave up after losing hacks on each upgrade. I am now reverting my forums back to standard in an effort to speed it up

Anything else I can do?

[veedee]
      Talking loud but aint saying nothing.

Comment

set the gzip level to 1, you use more cpu time setting it to 9 for a very little gain in compression.

vBulletin is more or less optimized, there is very little added on by extra things, though turning off email form so that users can't send emails to each other by using your server is an up side.

If bandwidth is a problem then turn off avatars too.

If speed is a problem then maybe consider more ram or a faster cpu or another cpu if you only have one.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

IS there any performance tunning I could make to my board that has a lot of forums? When I say a lot I mean a couple of thousands.

I've noticed there's a forum caching going on in forumdisplay. I've tried just to cache the first level subforums and that helps a lot. Any other suggestions (apart from reducing the number of forums )?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X