X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intex
    Thx Eva2000 - you're a star
    no probs
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
      possible yes... safest way is to backup the forum prior to upgrading.. the way i do it is

1. backup forum
      2. create new empty database
      3. import backup into new empty database - this serves also to check the backup is properly dumped out
      4. then upload 2.2.6 files (when they're released) to site
      5. edit config.php and point the database to the new empty databasename you created in step 2. and which now holds a identical copy of your existing database vb version (via step 3)
      6. run the upgrade to 2.2.6 - this will upgrade your forum to 2.2.6 altering the duplicate copy of your database made in step 2. & 3.

this way original database is never even touched at all and you can do step 1 through to 6 again above if for any reason your upgrade messes up or has problems
      I'm on my way to start my upgrade and I was thinking about the process as you've outlined above. Would it also not be a good idea to backup the upload directory, so that if something goes wrong you will have copies of all the files exactly how they were before (this would be between steps 3 and 4 above). Otherwise surely you would have the new version vB files which maybe causing a problem.

Just a thought. I'm probably wrong though

Comment

Originally posted by intex

I'm on my way to start my upgrade and I was thinking about the process as you've outlined above. Would it also not be a good idea to backup the upload directory, so that if something goes wrong you will have copies of all the files exactly how they were before (this would be between steps 3 and 4 above). Otherwise surely you would have the new version vB files which maybe causing a problem.

Just a thought. I'm probably wrong though
        you upload directory won't be touched by upgrades anyway.. but if you must backup upload directory then do so .. just make sure you have enough disk space for mysql backup and upload directory backup
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Thx

I've downloaded 2.2.5 and am ready to perform the upgrade, but I have one last question (hopefully ) and relates to your answer.

It says in the members area to upload all the files except config.php. Does this mean all the files in the ZIP which obviously can be used for a fresh installation, i.e. do I copy all the files and directories (admin / images / mod) along with all the files outside of these directories?

Comment

I just noticed that in the 2.2.5 announcement:

>>>

Files changed: (from 2.2.4)

announcement.php, attachment.php, calendar.php, editpost.php, forumdisplay.php, global.php, index.php, member.php, member2.php, memberlist.php, misc.php, moderator.php, newreply.php, newthread.php, online.php, poll.php, postings.php, printthread.php, private.php, private2.php, register.php, search.php, showgroups.php, showthread.php, threadrate.php, usercp.php, admin/badwords.php, admin/functions.php, admin/sessions.php, admin/style.php, admin/thread.php, admin/user.php, mod/announcement.php, mod/global.php

admin/misc.php

And the usuals (all for just the version number): admin/global.php, admin/install.php, admin/upgrade1.php, admin/upgrade18.php

<<<

and these are file in the root (along with a couple in the admin and mod directory), so I guess it does mean ALL files and directories (except the config.php) ?

Comment

Upload all files in the main, /admin and /mod directories. No need to upload the /images files.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X