database/privacy/password help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• database/privacy/password help

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with my question/problem.

I just signed up, set-up, installed my vbulletin database, redesigned and adjusted the look of the site and I am quite happy with it all. My main concern is with privacy and passwords.

I have two sections; one called family (with a few sub sections) and another called friends (with a few sub sections). I would like to make it all private. I want my family around the world to be able to use the family section and have friends use the friends section. It would be ideal and perfect to have two seperate passwords maybe or codes where only friends can read and post in "friends" and only family can read and post in "friends".

I know some forums can be made closed; so maybe all mine can be made private(closed)? Most important is to be able to keep the "friends" section seperate from "family"
    I was told to post here for help and advice.

Please help,
    thanks,
    Tom Foley

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

your response is quite insulting, arrogant, and condescending

Your response is quite insulting, arrogant, and condescending,
      I would appreciate if someone else would reply to my questions in the future.

A one line link as an answer to my question is pathetic.
      I have read many of the posts here that people write asking
      questions. Some have good replies but many like yours are so
      unhelpful and arrogant that I am surprised someone hasn't
      complained already (or maybe they have and we can not read it.)

I know a little html but many people do not and ask for 2 or 3 lines
      of html help in other posts. The replies I have read are disrespectful.
      People are paying money and yet you do not answer their questions.
      Funny thing, I am testing this system out for what could be quite a few
      people and websites. I have been happy with the replies from Steve Machol,
      but your reply (WizyWyg) is beyond unhelpful. It smells of contempt, disregard,
      and ridicule. If you can not answer my question, I suggest you do not reply
      to my post.

I have read the manual. It does not go into detail with what I am trying to do.
      And now I am trying to do it by trial and error, like almost everything else here.
      So please, if you are going to be unhelpful, arrogant, and condescending,
      than please do not reply to my post. Stay away from me because you are
      leaving a very bad taste, or smell I should say, in my space.

Anyone else who would actually like to be nice and helpful, please post a reply.

Oh yeah, by the way, I was told by a senior member to write my question
      here in the "How Do I" otherwise I would not have asked the question in the first place.
      Now that I have done it, I see some other senior member(s) seem
      to get joy out of trying to embarrass junior members. I do not embarrass that
      easily. And I will not run away or shy away. I still await a decent answer, which by the way is not in the FAQ either.

Anyone can help, senior member or not. Thank you.

Comment

Re: database/privacy/password help

Originally posted by sickofitall
        I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with my question/problem.

I just signed up, set-up, installed my vbulletin database, redesigned and adjusted the look of the site and I am quite happy with it all. My main concern is with privacy and passwords.

I have two sections; one called family (with a few sub sections) and another called friends (with a few sub sections). I would like to make it all private. I want my family around the world to be able to use the family section and have friends use the friends section. It would be ideal and perfect to have two seperate passwords maybe or codes where only friends can read and post in "friends" and only family can read and post in "friends".

I know some forums can be made closed; so maybe all mine can be made private(closed)? Most important is to be able to keep the "friends" section seperate from "family"
        I was told to post here for help and advice.

Please help,
        thanks,
        Tom Foley
        1. do you allow friends and family to signup themselves to your forum, or do you manually create their a/cs
        2. if you manually create their a/cs you can create a new usergroup for the group (family or friends) which ever you anticipate to be of the lesser number of members... i.e. if you anticipate there will be alot of friends and only a few family members, then create a new usergroup for family

3. then edit the forum permissions for the family and friends forums and only allow the usergroup for family access to the family forums

for the friends group you can either allow them to be in registered users or create a friends usergroup and only allow them access to friends forum via modifying your forum permissions

the manual does have some information useful to you as well http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/ => http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/usergroups.html
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

note WizyWyg doesn't work for vBulletin.com she's just another vB owner trying to help another vB owner out......
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

eva2000

Thank you for the advice eva2000,
            I sincerely appreciate it. At this point to make things easier
            I have decided that friends would be public and family would be
            private. I will try to use your advice in what I am trying to do.

I hope all this works because I have a few other forums
            to purchase on behalf of other website owners who I have
            designed sites for and/or also hosting their sites.

Tom Foley

Comment

Re: eva2000

Thank you for the advice eva2000,
              I sincerely appreciate it. At this point to make things easier
              I have decided that friends would be public and family would be
              private. I will try to use your advice in what I am trying to do.

I hope all this works because I have a few other forums
              to purchase on behalf of other website owners who I have
              designed sites for and/or also hosting their sites.

Tom Foley
              you're welcome

one of the fun aspects when i first purchased vB was learning all the neat functions the vB admin panel and user panels have to offer

Comment

re: your pm

Adding users manually instructions => http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/users.html

Comment

Re: your response is quite insulting, arrogant, and condescending

Your response is quite insulting, arrogant, and condescending,
                  I would appreciate if someone else would reply to my questions in the future.
                  Excuse me if you found that a link to the manual as "insulting".
                  If you took offense to a link pointing you to the manual, them I apologize. I just figured that maybe the manual will offer you help that you didn't realize was there.

The board here has answers to every question ever asked about vbulletin, you can find many answers by using the search function as well:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search.php

You want to know about Private forums? You can search that easily.

A one line link as an answer to my question is pathetic.
                  I have read many of the posts here that people write asking
                  questions. Some have good replies but many like yours are so
                  unhelpful and arrogant that I am surprised someone hasn't
                  complained already (or maybe they have and we can not read it.)
                  Im sorry, if you think that a "link" is not an answer. You asked a question about User permissions and private forums, so I gave you a link to the online manual that helps you figure that out.

I know a little html but many people do not and ask for 2 or 3 lines
                  of html help in other posts. The replies I have read are disrespectful.
                  Sorry, I dont quite understand this, but to set permission for your users, you dont even need to know HTML.

People are paying money and yet you do not answer their questions.
                  Funny thing, I am testing this system out for what could be quite a few
                  people and websites. I have been happy with the replies from Steve Machol,
                  but your reply (WizyWyg) is beyond unhelpful. It smells of contempt, disregard,
                  and ridicule.
                  All I did was give you a link to the online manual. What more did you want? The manual is very helpful. I figured out how to do permissions and create Private forums by following the manual and searching this forum:

I did not insult you. I did not ask why you didn't bother to search. I pointed you to a very helpful document that is available to you 24/7.

If you can not answer my question, I suggest you do not reply
                  to my post.
                  Im sorry you took offense to me answering your question with a link to the very manual that has helped me in the past.

I have read the manual. It does not go into detail with what I am trying to do.
                  And now I am trying to do it by trial and error, like almost everything else here.
                  So please, if you are going to be unhelpful, arrogant, and condescending,
                  than please do not reply to my post. Stay away from me because you are
                  leaving a very bad taste, or smell I should say, in my space.
                  PLEASE explain to me how pointing you to the manual is "unhelpful, arrogant, and condescending". I find this post utterly condescending if you cant take some helpful tips that is pointed out in the manual.

Anyone else who would actually like to be nice and helpful, please post a reply.
                  Someone did, and what did they do? Point you to the manual.

Oh yeah, by the way, I was told by a senior member to write my question
                  here in the "How Do I" otherwise I would not have asked the question in the first place.
                  Now that I have done it, I see some other senior member(s) seem
                  to get joy out of trying to embarrass junior members. I do not embarrass that
                  easily. And I will not run away or shy away. I still await a decent answer, which by the way is not in the FAQ either.

There was nothing in MY post that made you look embarassed. Your "situation" is the same situation as many others have come to the forum asking. And many of those users got pointed to the manual. Im just another vbulletin user who as well needed info on how to set up the permissions for private forums and set up usergroups. I was pointed to the use the Manual. Sorry IF you dont like that I gave the same answer I was given when I first got vbulletin. And I didn't take offense, felt embarrased or didn't take the answer as condescending. I told myself "now why didn't I think of that in the fist place?!".

Again, I offer my apologies to you if you find that my answer was in anyway no benefit to you. I found the manual to be beneficial when I first started out. And many of my questions were answered there. I wont bother you again.
                  There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

Someone please start a new thread on password/privacy and group seperation.

Thanks for the help....
                    Steve Machol,
                    eva2000,
                    Lord Dragon. I aprreciate it. ~v~
                    After reading the manual, FAQ, and going through tons
                    of threads and posts, I thought maybe it would be a good idea
                    to have a new thread with opinions, posts, tips, and ideas on
                    seperating forums concerning passwords, viewing and posting
                    access, and privacy.

The manual and threads do not really go into detail of
                    "pros" and "cons" and new ideas vs. old ones (manual).
                    There seems to be thousands of posts and threads from
                    "How Do I install vbuletin" to "How Do I get out of bed in the morning?"
                    This thread started with one interesting question but has been
                    mired in #@*$.

Someone please start a new thread and let me know. I would like
                    to copy and paste some ideas that people have sent me on this subject.
                    I would like to see other people post in a possitive thread with no
                    one line links (vbuletin/manual); just ideas, answers, variations, and possibilities.
                    Gather them all together in one informative, helpful, and large thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X