Help - how to stop moderated users from emailing other users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - how to stop moderated users from emailing other users

I'm sure this is something you will know how to fix, but I can't quite figure out how.

I have user moderation on because of an insane problem user who floods our board with threats of nuclear war, insults, etc. It has worked well so far, except he found a hole. When he registers and confirms his email, he is in the queue to be approved by me. Of course I won't, but even though I have not approved him, he can still email users from his account.

He did this last night to about 20-30 users, flooding their boxes with his usual garbage. I don't see a setting in the user group profile that will turn off the ability to email a user other than "can't see the board" altogether.

Anyone have any suggestions here?

Thanks,
    Clutch

I honestly don't understand why you don't just ban someone who so flagrantly abuses your forums like this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
      I honestly don't understand why you don't just ban someone who so flagrantly abuses your forums like this.
      I should have been more clear, sorry. I've banned the user accounts as soon as I get them, but he registered his account last night in the middle of the night -- 2am-ish. I was sleeping so until I got up, he had free reign to email users (couldn't post, but could email users).

I can't ban him by IP because he's a WebTV user... other people on my board use it as well (this is a large traffic board).

For example, unregistered users and those awaiting email confirmation can not email other users in the group, yet can see the board. With 'COPPA Users Waiting Moderation', they can't post, but can email other users. That's my problem.

Comment

Why would you want to let 'COPPA Users Waiting Moderation' have access to e-mail other users?

Is this an option or by default?

Comment

Why not disable email setting in the COPPA user group permissions through the admin control panel?

Comment

ukdiver -- which setting is that? It's not Can use 'email to friend' feature. I don't see anything else in the user group settings that specifies if they can email other users or not.

Comment

Try preventing them from viewing user profiles and hiding e-mail addresses for all users.

Comment

Also, as a security tip, while you are finding a solution to this, turn off "allow new user registrations" to protect him from reregistering accounts. I know this may turn away a few users, but you prolly don't want him reregistering. There should be an option though under user groups and permissions to not allow COPPA users to e-mail. Just look them over again, it may turn up.
                -Draco
                The Digital Sector Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch
                  ukdiver -- which setting is that? It's not Can use 'email to friend' feature. I don't see anything else in the user group settings that specifies if they can email other users or not.
                  My misunderstanding of the function, sorry. I think neocivitas suggestion is worthwhile and banning new registrations for a while.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X