Attachment upload woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment upload woes

After scouring the forums and making a bunch of mods, I STILL have problems uploading files to my forums.

The problem seems to be a timing issue; Using a fast 10Mb link I can upload file of up to MySQL's limit of 16Mb no problem - takes 3 mins 'ish. Using a slow 56k link, I can only upload about 700k before getting a "page cannot be found" error in IE returned and the post fails.

This happens after about 5 mins of uploading and I don't get any other errors email to me or logged.

My setting are:

Win 2K
    IIS 5.0
    PHP 4.1.1
    MySQL 3.23.39
    VB 2.5.5

PHP.INI
    max_execution_time = 3600
    memory_limit = 16777216
    post_max_size = 16777216
    upload_max_filesize = 16777216

MY.INI
    [MYSQLD]
    set-variable = max_allowed_packet=16777216

What could be wrong?????????????????????????

It's driving me MAD!!!!!

Thanks,
    Mike.
    Mike Doherty
    UniPro Ltd

PHP is timing out. You will need to increase the default timeout in the PHP.INI file.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

PHP timing out

As I mentioned before.......

PHP.INI
      max_execution_time = 3600

Thats an hour. And if PHP were timing out, surly I'd see a PHP timeout error or some sort?

Are there any other settings that effect PHP timeout?

Thanks,
      Mike.
      Mike Doherty
      UniPro Ltd

Comment

16MB file is TOOO large to upload... you'd kill your server's mysql database if you have say 5 to 10 people trying to click on that 16MB attachment

if you need to upload large attachments do it outside of vB's database with a separate script
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

It'll never happen

The boards doing a very specific job and only has a few users, so these uploads are fine.
          Mike Doherty
          UniPro Ltd

Comment

Fixed it!!!!!!

It turns out that once the PHP and MySQL settings are fixed that IIS may time out the CGI script.

You can fix it by setting the IIS CGI timeout under master settings for the computer under management console for IIS. Make sure you get the properties form the computer rather than specific sites under the computer. Right click on the computer then go to properties > configuration > process options > cgi timeout.

After doing that I can upload 15.7 Mb using a 56k modem!!!!!

Hope this helps some others as no-one seemed to have the answers for me!

Search help:

IIS timeout upload php size 1mb max_file_size ini max_post_size
            max_allowed_packet Windows 2000
            Mike Doherty
            UniPro Ltd

Comment

Re: Fixed it!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mike Doherty
              It turns out that once the PHP and MySQL settings are fixed that IIS may time out the CGI script.

You can fix it by setting the IIS CGI timeout under master settings for the computer under management console for IIS. Make sure you get the properties form the computer rather than specific sites under the computer. Right click on the computer then go to properties > configuration > process options > cgi timeout.

After doing that I can upload 15.7 Mb using a 56k modem!!!!!

Hope this helps some others as no-one seemed to have the answers for me!

Search help:

IIS timeout upload php size 1mb max_file_size ini max_post_size
              max_allowed_packet Windows 2000
              thanks for that
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment