Reject COPPA users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reject COPPA users?

Is there any way to prohibit COPPA users from joining???

thanks

- jeff

Edit the registration templates, change the wording and remove the COPPA registration link. Then disable COPPA within the Admin CP.

Comment

Actually that is the WRONG way about doing it.

You need to make sure that COPPA users do sign up using COPPA (they go into a moderation queue), you verify it, then submit and email to them that their memberships is rejected because they are under age. YOu need that COPPA sign up in case someone tries to "pull the wool over your eyes" by trying to sign up again without using coppa or an overbearing parent tries to "sue" you for allowing their child on your forum.

The best way to handle underage applicants is to set up an Adult Check system (ie those evre famous, credit card to join) you dont have to set a fee, but CC is about the only way, along with a copy of their DL (important number scratched) off to determine age.

There is no absolute way to keep children off, but at least try to make it difficult for them.
      There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

I hear what both of your are saying. What are the laws that signify what is acceptable. Most adult content sites (mine is not one of them, but I still don't want any kids on it) just ask people to click on a button to verify that they are over 18 or 21. My site is high performance boating related, but we do have a lot of pics of women in thongs and it's really not a place to teenagers for teenagers or kids.

let'em find a victorias secret catalogue is that want to see what's posted on my site.

- jeff
        Last edited by JeffJ; Fri 26 Apr '02, 11:21am.

Comment

Depends what country you happen to be in. COPPA doesn't apply to us.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeS
            Depends what country you happen to be in. COPPA doesn't apply to us.
            COPPA doesn't apply to who?

Comment

Originally posted by neocivitas

COPPA doesn't apply to who?
              Any site or host outside the USA

JeffJ - what is the exact content of your site to not let under age 13 in?
              There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

Working...
              X