'Cannot find server' error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Cannot find server' error

I'm currently experiencing errors when posting in a single particular thread.

I can post a new thread, reply in other threads, but one of the threads already started in my forum causes system timeout errors.

This specific thread is not closed, everything seems to be ok, but I get not response from the server when posting a new message in this thread.

I called my ISP but got no satisfactory answer. May seem like a corrupted datafile, but I can tell how to fix this.

Could someone advice. Thanks.

What's the URL to this thread and can you supply a test account to test this with?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The URL to the thread is http://www.golemlabs.com/forums/show...&threadid=1277

I created the following test account:

username: testaccount
      password: 1234

If you need to get in touch with me, just PM me on the board. My username is S├ębastien.

Thanks for helping.

Comment

First thing I noticed is that your board runs extremely slow. Are there problems with the server or host?

I suspect there are a lot of email notifications on this thread which may be why you're having this problem (I had the same problem when I tried to post.) However any decent server should be able to handle a thread this size (only 19 replies).

I doubt there's a corrupted file since there's no error indicating this. In fact the 'Cannot find server' error would indicate a problem with weither the server or DNS records.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

What do you suggest to fix this?

I just noticed that what I said about being able to post in other threads is false.

I can post new threads and reply in existing small threads, but I get the same timeout error as soon as I post in larger threads.
          Last edited by skerjean; Tue 23 Apr '02, 9:06am.

Comment

Other than believing this is a server problem I really don't know what to suggest. As I said your forums are running extremely slowly and the error would seem to indicate something wrong with the server and/or DNS records.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Disabling 'Enable Email features' seems to solve the problem. Could that help to pin-point the problem?

According to my ISP, the server is at less than 10% of usage, and nothing has been done to block emailing, so there is no apparent reason for this.

Comment

Originally posted by skerjean
                Disabling 'Enable Email features' seems to solve the problem. Could that help to pin-point the problem?
                Yes, this could be the cause. It really depends on how they have the email server set up and how PHP in configured to use it (vB uses PHP for all it's mail functions.)

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

According to my ISP, the server is at less than 10% of usage, and nothing has been done to block emailing, so there is no apparent reason for this.
                  by any chance do you NOT verify emails or require email verification on your vBs ?
                  :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                  :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                  :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Require unique email addresses = yes
                    Verify Email address in registration = yes

Why's that?

Comment

Require unique email addresses = yes
                      Verify Email address in registration = yes

Why's that?
                      it could be slow when email notifications are enabled because some members may have invalid or dead email accounts which will bounce when your server tries to send emails to notify members who subscribed to those threads
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Could explain why it suddently won't work. It was running fine until yesterday night, even with pretty large threads.

Maybe someone with an invalid email account is present in one of those problematic threads.

Would there be a way to filter out invalid emails?

Comment

Could explain why it suddently won't work. It was running fine until yesterday night, even with pretty large threads.

Maybe someone with an invalid email account is present in one of those problematic threads.

Would there be a way to filter out invalid emails?
                          it could be an invalid a/c or their inbox is full and not accepting emails etc

easiest way to check is to send an email to all forum members reminding them to check and update their email accoutn details

any invalid emails will bounce back to your forum's admin email account from such a newsletter

Comment

Would there be another way?... because my ISP has a strong anti-mailing-list policy and I suspect they would not approve this option.

I had to discuss a lot with them when I installed vBulletin because they wanted to make sure I would not use it to generate mailing lists.

I might be able to find a way, but if there is another solution, I would rather try it first.

Comment

Would there be another way?... because my ISP has a strong anti-mailing-list policy and I suspect they would not approve this option.

I had to discuss a lot with them when I installed vBulletin because they wanted to make sure I would not use it to generate mailing lists.

I might be able to find a way, but if there is another solution, I would rather try it first.
                              well you can manually check every member's post in a particular set of problematic threads and email those members using their registered email address

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X