Problems loading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems loading

I have had good reports about my board loading and i myself have never seen any problems.

However, some are having problems getting on. I generally advise to clear cookies and temp internet files, which has worked, but some are having persistant problems.

They are set to "browse with cookies" and automatically log on, but the board just won't load for them.

One person keeps getting white screens and had this message "BAD GATEWAY,a DNS error has occured, the request timed out during the lookup, contact the administrator" - sounds like speed? (Nobody else is having this problem..)

Another member's problems started: in her own words..."What usually happens is........a)The page is just staying white OR b) Im getting "This page cannot be displayed, u may need to adjust your browser settings". I can refresh the page as much as i like but that dosnt seem to be helping. Last night (after 15 mins of trying) i actually got to log in but when i try to check my pms or go to anything in the forum im just getting the same thing "Page cannot be displayed".

My question is, is there a way to stop this. Is it a browser, pc or server problem.

I am afraid there are many others who aren't reporting the problem

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The DNS error is most likely something to do with their ISP's nameservers.

The other error is more difficult to assess but my guess is that the browser settings are at fault, i.e., "This page cannot be displayed, u may need to adjust your browser settings." They may have their Internet Options set to block javascript for instance. Have them try a lower security setting to see if that helps.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

i'd get your host to check your dns entries for your domain
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Thanks for your replies so far...it seems those having problems can log onto other vBulletin sites, so this seems to rule out their pcs.

Comment

Not necessarily. Their ISP's nameservers could have problems specific to your domain. More than likely though is that your host has a problem with the DNS entries for your domain, as eva2000 suggested.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by John F
            Thanks for your replies so far...it seems those having problems can log onto other vBulletin sites, so this seems to rule out their pcs.
            tell you host your problems and ask them to double check their dns entries for your domain
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Hello again,

I suggested checking dns entries to my host. He has said that if there was a DNS problem that 'nobody' would be able to connect. This is true, isn't it?

They have increased PHP timeout for me but one of my visitors is still getting - in her words, "website found, waiting on reply" and the little hour glass thing is staying on the screen"

She did manage to connect to the forum for a few days a few weeks back, and has been on a YaBB forum i had on the same servers - does this rule out her ISP?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by John F
                Hello again,

I suggested checking dns entries to my host. He has said that if there was a DNS problem that 'nobody' would be able to connect. This is true, isn't it?
                No, it's not true. For instance some ISPs refuse to connect to servers that don't have a proper reverse DNS entries whereas other do. There are probably other examples of misconfigured DNS records that work with some ISPs but not others.

[I hate typos! - Steve]
                Last edited by Steve Machol; Tue 23 Apr '02, 12:22pm.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
                  No, it's not true. For instance some ISPs refuse to connect to server that don't have a proper reverse DNS entries whereas other do. There are probably other examples of misconfigured DNS records that work with some ISPs but not others.
                  reverse dns problems is one of the problems i had a few weeks ago... i didn't notice it since my isp was okay with it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X