Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banning temprorary

Hi all,
    i want to ban a member from my forum. SO that she won't be able to EVEN see the forum at all.

basically not only from posting or replying, BUT also from even visiting the forum.

Create a 'Banned' user group with all permissions set to 'No', then put her in it.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

let me check..

Comment

thanks smachol for the fast response. DONE

Comment

No problem!

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

That was an easy fix, but alternativly you can also go in the Admin CP->vB Options-> Banning section and there you can ban users by IP address(use the IP address search under the users catagory) or by e-mail.
            -Draco
            The Digital Sector Forums

Comment

IP banning often backfires because most IP address are dynamic - not static. Therefore you might inadvertantly ban someone else and not ban the person you intended. As for email banning, this only works on new registrations.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
                IP banning often backfires because most IP address are dynamic - not static. Therefore you might inadvertantly ban someone else and not ban the person you intended. As for email banning, this only works on new registrations.
                good points there stick with the banned user group!
                -Draco
                The Digital Sector Forums

Comment

What if the user is smart enough to clear his browser cookies? Perhaps a ban by all 3 methods (usergroup, IP, email) would work best.

Comment

There is no foolproof way to keep someone out. They could always just use an anonymous proxy to access the forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
                      There is no foolproof way to keep someone out. They could always just use an anonymous proxy to access the forums.
                      Yep I know. Just pointing out that banning by usergroup should be coupled with IP/email for better results

BTW, this sounds like a stupied question, but what's the standard way in the admin CP to ban a user? ie: Do I have a create a new usergroup called "banned", and put that user in the usergroup?

Comment

That's the way I do it. You can also use the Mod CP's ban option which will automatically create a 'Banned by Moderator' group if one doesn't already exist.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X