Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with updating an attachment

Hi all,

Using 2.2.5 I've realized that I can't change/update from one attachment type to another.
    E.g., I had a *.zip file before and I now would like to change it to a word *.doc file.
    The upload works fine, no problems but when I access to the file in the thread the pop up window is saying that it still tries to open the original *.zip file.
    How can I tell vB that the file type has changed?

Thanks for your ideas...

on thread page hit ctrl+F5 and then try downloading does it work ? it could be a brower cache thing

if not try ctrl+F5 and then close the browser window for the thread and reopen a new one and try
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

no effect!

I tryed everything: reload, deleted the cache, whatever. Even days later, when I pick the attachment link it still gives me the old attachment although the link itself has been updated correctly.

And there's another funny effect. When I edit that post and klick on the attachment link (also shown correctly) I do get the right attachment (the new one). Strange things are going on...
      Last edited by Ivo; Fri 26 Apr '02, 6:30am.

Comment

seems to be a bug???

I've made a test in this vbulletin.com forum in the test area, same behaviour. Seems to be a bug! Try it yourself!

Any ideas?

Comment

definately a cache issue, does your ISP have a transparent cache server?

I know my ISP has inktomi servers and it causes problems sometimes with vBulletin attachments, but I've tested it on local enviroments so its definately not vBulletin.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

i'll move it to bug forum for verification by vB devs. although it does look like a cache issue
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

test........

Comment

no problems for me replacing an attachment

Comment

yeah, you're right...

It is a cache problem! Just tested it on another machine and it is working correctly. How can I clean the cache in my browser then?

Comment

okay moved back to troubleshooting forum

Comment

Re: yeah, you're right...

Originally posted by Ivo
                      It is a cache problem! Just tested it on another machine and it is working correctly. How can I clean the cache in my browser then?
                      so ctrl+F5 didn't work in your browser window ?

are you using an ISP proxy ?

Comment

The problem is probably most definately with your isps proxy server, i found that my isp (NTL) have a wierd cache system in place on their inktomi servers, if you request the same thing within 10 minutes it doesn't seem to get the new copy but returns the old copy.

The best way to test if its your browser or not is try using another browser like Opera or Netscape to view the same attachment, if they also show the old attachments its ISP, else its your browser.

To change cache options in IE, click tools, internet options and then the settings button under temporary internet files, change the radio button to "Every visit to the page"
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

no cache and no proxy...

Comment

they can run transperent proxies that you wouldn't even notice or specify in your browser, many ISP's do this to save on resources.

My host when viewing page ends up
                            inktomi1-ren.server.ntl.com
                            even though its currently
                            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I just phoned them and they said that they definitely don't use any cache server or proxy.

I tryed your change proposals on me IE, no effect...

Comment