No announcement yet.

My forums have been hacked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you that had copies of your databases taken I would highly recommend changing your passwords and recommending all your users do the same. I don't remember what type of encryption they are using but if it is Salt encryption it can be easily brute-forced by today's fast computers.
    Ryan "leadZERO" Sommers
    Gamer's Impact President
    [email protected]
    AIM/MSN: leadZERO

-= http://www.gamersimpact.com =-

Comment

I have changed my password every day since the crap happened, plus I had my mods shift theirs a lot as well...

I thought vB used MD5 encryption?
      Proud to have designed, developed, and implemented my own Anti Troll software into my vbulletin installation with the help of my great friend Bialar Crais. We specialize in the confusion and banishment of all that which tries to stop our community from thriving. Thanks to the trolls for driving our community closer together in the fight against a common enemy.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: My forums have been hacked!

Originally posted by Nemesis2000
        I moved to a server where I have root access, and was able then to take more effective countermeasures.
        Newbie question... what exactly is "root" access?
        Can you please tell us what the countermeasures are?
        Thanks.

Comment

The root user is the administrator, they have full access to everything.

There is various measures that can be used to ensure your server is secure, but most of these will be simply to implement.

1. Ensure you use a different password for ftp than your forums and other accounts, if you use the same one then if someone finds it out they have access to everything.

2. Make sure mysql can only be accessed from localhost, usually placing a block on your firewall on port 3306 will solve this.

3. Use a .htaccess to protect your admin directory, this will require a user to login to view anything in that directory, then they will have to login again to use the admin panel.

And last but not least always make backups

In question to the encryption of the passwords, a md5 hash is created from the password, this is a 32 character string which cant be decrypted.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by PPN
            2. Make sure mysql can only be accessed from localhost, usually placing a block on your firewall on port 3306 will solve this.
            Thanks PPN.
            I am on a shared server, so #2 above doesn't apply to me, right?

Comment

Probably not most webhosts will have done this already.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I see... then, it's worth my asking my web host if they've done that. Okay, thanks again!

Comment

My vbb website was hacked recently , like Mark0308 .
                  Since I find my password was change and some data was deleted , I restore whole database from my backup.
                  But next day the hacker login into system with my account again ( I had changed my password since I found someone login into my site .)
                  I don't know how them get my password , but I create .htaccess for protect /admin directory .
                  Is it enough ?? or I have to do more thing ??
                  My vbb version is 2.2.9 . Thanks ~~

Comment

You need to restore your database, and UPGRADE to vBulletin 2.3.5 or 3.0.3 there are a few issues with your current version http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109257

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                      You need to restore your database, and UPGRADE to vBulletin 2.3.5 or 3.0.3 there are a few issues with your current version http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109257
                      Thanks , Zachery !! Thank you very much !!
                      I will patch calendar.php ~~

PS. When I try to find some way to find answer , I found some link in Google , and those website at China ( Not Taiwan R.O.C.) which discuss how to using vbb's bug to crack vbb's website , it's so terrible !!
                      Those post discuss how to use the bug of Calendar.php to got anyone's password ........
                      Last edited by algolee; Sat 2 Oct '04, 6:10am.

Comment

Well, it is always smart for you to change your password at least once a month in a public document. Just so you know.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X