Safely backing up VB database w/o Telnet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safely backing up VB database w/o Telnet

My crappy server host does NOT allow Telnet for security reasons (lame).

I need to get the MYSQL database moved over to my new server..whats the best way to tackle this?

There's a db backup function in the admin CP...

1. Make a directory on your site called backups or something like that
    2. chmod it 777
    3. In the admin CP, close your board and back up the database to the file (change "./" to the full directory of the dir you just created; for example, /data/sites/mysite.com/backups)
    4. Click the big button
    5. FTP the finished file to your local pooter and delete it from the server, and reopen the board

As for restoring the dump, you need a host with Telnet to do it reliably. If you can't get Telnet at all and when you ask them to restore a dump you can give them, they say no, you can back up the database in chunks and restore it one part at a time. It's excruciatingly hard though.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

telnet is the best way... and the only reliable way to back-up (especially for large databases).

you can try contacting your host and see if they will either do the dump for you or give you telnet access.

or you can use the back-up feature of your admin cp: Admin CP -> Import & Maintenance -> Back-up Database. save it to a .sql file.

//edit: ugh, slow in teh face @ me

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
        //edit: ugh, slow in teh face @ me
        Ah-ha, the cream pie tables have turned!
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Ok got it...

Contacted my current server and they basically told me to give my business to someone else. They WONT do any dumps and the lazy bastards won't even install any modules. I won't mention that they are OMNIS.COM.

They are slower than molasses and they also have terrible customer support.

Let me get this straight.

1) Going to do a MYSQL dump in the admin CP to a file on the current server (SAVE DATA TO FILE ON SERVER) with CHMOD 777 to the directory

2) Going to FTP this big file to my local computer

3) Going to FTP my current /Forums folders to my local computer

4) Going to upload my current /Forums folder to new server

5) Going to upload the new VB 2.25 to the /Forums folder on the new server and run the Upgrade.php files for 2.2.1
          (which wont overwrite all of my custom templates?)

6) Going to TELNET into the new server after uploading that ForumBackup file to restore the database

7) Everything is going to work just like before on a faster server.

Am I missing anything?

The file saved onto the server but the CP never said anything like "Dump Complete"...Just got a "Dumping Search" and thats it. Was that the last table?

Thanks in advance
          Last edited by dprice; Wed 10 Apr '02, 7:36pm.

Comment

the dump in vB admin panel will go to your forums admin directory and not your own home pc

so it will be in /forums/admin
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by dprice

The file saved onto the server but the CP never said anything like "Dump Complete"...Just got a "Dumping Search" and thats it. Was that the last table?

Thanks in advance
              php could of timed out... try this in /admin/backup.php file edit that file and

add these 2 lines to top of backup.php
              Code:
              ini_set ("max_execution_time", "600") 
              ini_set ("memory_limit", "64")
              http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ini-set.php

remove the backup in /admin directory you previously made and redo one with the newly upload backup.php file
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Eva,

what a nightmare...Cant get a good dump. Made the changes that you listed and here is what I get:

ini_set ("max_execution_time", "600") ini_set ("memory_limit", "64")
                Dumping access

Dumping adminlog

Dumping adminutil

Dumping announcement

Dumping attachment

Dumping avatar

Dumping bbcode

Dumping c_ban_users

Dumping c_messages

Dumping c_reg_users

Dumping c_users

Dumping calendar_events

Dumping customavatar

Dumping forum

Dumping forumpermission

Dumping icon

Dumping kb1_Administrators

Dumping kb1_Messages

Dumping kb1_News

Dumping kb1_Settings

Dumping kb1_SubTopics

Dumping kb1_Topic_List

Dumping kb1_Topics

Dumping kb1_Users

Dumping kb_1Topic_List

Dumping kb_Administrators

Dumping kb_Messages

Dumping kb_News

Dumping kb_Settings

Dumping kb_SubTopics

Dumping kb_Topic_List

Dumping kb_Topics

Dumping kb_Users

Dumping moderator

Dumping poll

Dumping pollvote

Dumping post

Dumping privatemessage

Dumping profilefield

Dumping replacement

Dumping replacementset

Dumping search

Could I bet running out of space on my server? They don't even roll over. Once you are out of space (100meg), then everything quits saving to the server.

I have about 10 megs left. 1300 users/7000 posts.

Comment

1. did you remove the previously made sql dump file in /admin ?
                  2. check the tick box for all tables to dump EXCEPT the searchindex and word tables (those 2 can be rebuilt on the new server once you restore the sql dump)

Comment

Eva2000,

Yes, I did delete the previous incomplete MYSQL dump. Still not getting past Dumping Search

Do I need to "Do Backup" first? I get a bunch of garbled text that continues when I click DO BACKUP....

Should I just be using the SAVE FILE to Server option?

Sorry to be a pain in the arse.

-dp-

Comment

okay do this in this order

1. remove any previous back sql dump in /admin folder
                      2. close forum if you have not
                      3. go into update counters in vB admin panel and empty the searchindex
                      4. in backup database page use the save to server option but specify a path within your site's public root document folder

ie.

/home/username/public_html/forumbackupsql

create this folder named forumbackupsql at /home/username/public_html/forumbackupsql

chmod it to 777
                      5. now perform a backup to server with location set as

/home/username/public_html/forumbackupsql/sqlfilename.sql

instead of

./sqlfilename.sql

now to move data over to new server

6. if new server has shell/telnet access
                      - log into new server via telnet and then type these 3 commands

shell> mkdir sqlbackup
                      shell> cd sqlbackup
                      shell> wget http://yourforumdomain.com/forumbackupsql/sqlfilename.sql

wait until it retrieves the file

7. then you can reimport into new database on new site using this

mysql -u mysqlusername -p emptynewdatabasename < /path/to/sqlbackup/sqlfilename.sql

and wait until you return to prompt

8. setup same version vB php files as database you backed up, onto new server and point config.php to emptynewdatabasename you have above

9. with forum still closed update counters and reindex searchidnex
                      Last edited by George L; Wed 10 Apr '02, 11:10pm.

Comment

Is there no easy way to back-up without the use of telnet?

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad
                          Is there no easy way to back-up without the use of telnet?
                          telnet IS the easy way

unless you web host offers daily automated mysql database backups as well

Comment

My host doesn't allow telnet access. Does that mean that I should forget about using vBulletin?

They do claim that they do automatic backups of MySQL but I don't know how reliable that 'claim' is and how they would perform if it came to any emergency. I need to make my own backups every fortnight and certainly don't want to count on them for the safety of my board.

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad
                              My host doesn't allow telnet access. Does that mean that I should forget about using vBulletin?

They do claim that they do automatic backups of MySQL but I don't know how reliable that 'claim' is and how they would perform if it came to any emergency. I need to make my own backups every fortnight and certainly don't want to count on them for the safety of my board.
                              well it means if you are serious about creating an online forum community you need to have the right hosting to support it in the first place

you could ask your web host if they can place the automated backed up mysql database file into your accessible web space/account

if you install mysql/php/apache on your local pc you can download the sql backup and import it to your own pc to check if it works/is complete

should you forget about using vB ? of course not, popular forums scripts are all either php/mysql or perl/mysql or perl/flat file based

some web hosts will allow restricted telnet access if you sent them a faxed copy of your drivers license etc

alot of hosts don't give telnet access as it's a security risk

btw, who's your web host ?

Comment

Working...
                              X