Help! Lost all data on my vBulletin database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Lost all data on my vBulletin database

I run a vBulletin message board and I have just noticed that all the data on the MySQL database have dissappeared And me being so stupid, I didn't do any backup (although I was planning to start doing this soon, but I guess we all say this until something bad happens).

The strange thing is that I did a 'locate' on telnet and it says that the MySQL tables are still here. But when I try to access or list them, it says there is no file. So why does 'locate' tell me the tables are here? Does locate work by indexing the files structure somewhere? (which would mean the tables WERE there) or coud this mean there has been an hard drive corruption which messed up the file structure?

Please help, if the tables are definitely lost I'll start again with a fresh install but I just want to make sure there is no hope before doing this

Re: Help! Lost all data on my vBulletin database

Originally posted by exhale
    I run a vBulletin message board and I have just noticed that all the data on the MySQL database have dissappeared And me being so stupid, I didn't do any backup (although I was planning to start doing this soon, but I guess we all say this until something bad happens).

The strange thing is that I did a 'locate' on telnet and it says that the MySQL tables are still here. But when I try to access or list them, it says there is no file. So why does 'locate' tell me the tables are here? Does locate work by indexing the files structure somewhere? (which would mean the tables WERE there) or coud this mean there has been an hard drive corruption which messed up the file structure?

Please help, if the tables are definitely lost I'll start again with a fresh install but I just want to make sure there is no hope before doing this
    more info is needed to help you

read what is needed from you at http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=17262

particularly what version of mysql are you using ?

whatever you do don't touch or delete any mysql stuff yet

close forum for now
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Hi there,
      you may try to contact your hosting service about that.
      Maybe they can help ypu or have a backup,
      cu,
      -Tom
      http://www.mcseboard.de/images/buttons/lastpost.gif www.MCSEboard.de
      German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

OK here are the information...

1. http://www.vjforums.com
        2. PHP 4.0.3pl1
        3. MySQL 3.23.37
        4. Apache 1.3 (?)
        5. Red Hat

I use vBulletin 2.0.3. I have closed my message board and haven't touched the MySQL database and won't do until I'm sure there is no way to get back these data... I tried a myisamchk but it says the tables don't exist (although I see them with locate)

I have a dedicated server so contacting my host won't help.

Comment

OK here are the information...

1. http://www.vjforums.com
          2. PHP 4.0.3pl1
          3. MySQL 3.23.37
          4. Apache 1.3 (?)
          5. Red Hat

I use vBulletin 2.0.3. I have closed my message board and haven't touched the MySQL database and won't do until I'm sure there is no way to get back these data... I tried a myisamchk but it says the tables don't exist (although I see them with locate)

hmm alot of dated stuff vb 2.03 has security bugs and so does PHP versions 4.06 and lower - need to upgrade to vB 2.2.5 and PHP 4.1.2 to secure your software

what's the exact error message you get when you myisamchk (you are shutting down mysql before you run myisamchk right ?)

what are you typing to locate your mysql forum data ?
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Well I'll upgrade PHP and vBulletin soon (at least if I have to start over from scratch, it will be a good opportunity to upgade vB...)

myisamchk gives me the error "error: File '/home/mysql/vjforums/thread.MYI' doesn't exist"

Everything tells me the tables are not here except locate. I typed 'locate vjforums' to find if the tables were here. And according to locate, they are ALL here.

Thanks, hope you can help.

Comment

as root user type:

updatedb

and then try locate again.. do you see anything ?

Comment

No I had the feeling locate was using something to search faster. So I guess it was this... All my tables are gone and I don't know why. I haven't done anything. Maybe some hackers.

Comment

if you type

locate *.MYI

what do you see any forum related tables ?

do any files exist in /home/mysql/vjforums ?

from the path and mysql version are you on a raq by any chance ?

Comment

Yes I'm on a RaQ4. There is no file at all on the vjforums MySQL directory and when I typed "locate *.MYI" it only lists the tables from the other databases I have, not the vBulletin one.

Comment

someone or something wiped your databases then

are you the only one with server root access ?

Comment

Yeah It sucks because my message board was finally starting to take off. Oh well, I should be able to get it going again.

I host quite a lot of people on my server but I use the RaQ admin area to setup the accounts so it should be alright security-wise. I don't know where it comes from, but at least now I'll start to do regular backups, it should be less a problem. I already backed up all my other database right after the problem I guess you only learn from your mistakes...

Comment

Ooh, I see.

Anyway, good luck next time

cu,
                          -Tom
                          http://www.mcseboard.de/images/buttons/lastpost.gif www.MCSEboard.de
                          German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X