Creating UBB -> vBulletin redirect files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating UBB -> vBulletin redirect files

Some other solution may already exist for this purpose, but I wasn't able to find one, so I wrote a Perl script.

The script generates *.html redirect files that can be used to replace the old HTML threads of the UBB forum. This way, if the users have bookmarked old threads directly, or if the users have referred to other threads in the messages, the links won't be broken.

The script generates only one redirect file per thread (in other words it will not generate redirect files for other than the first page of the multi-page threads).

This will not completely automate the process, but it does make it a whole lot simpler. I have about 40,000 posts in about 1,100 threads so creating redirect files manually was out of the question. Once I got this script working satisfactorily it took me about 20 minutes to generate redirect files for all of the old UBB threads. While doing so, it also checks for any threads that were dropped during UBB->vBulletin transfer (I found ten...).

Now if my users use an old bookmark to pre-vBulletin thread, such as...
    http://www.etusivu.net/viestitaulu/Forum1/HTML/000083.html
    ...they will be presented with a link to the corresponding thread on vBulletin rather than with a "404 - Not Found".

There are more instructions for the script's use in the script itself (download below).

Maybe someone finds this useful.. or maybe not, but here it is in any case .
    Last edited by Ville; Fri 29 Mar '02, 2:32pm.
    Come to visit My Galagzee!
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X