Putting forums on vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting forums on vacation

I recently shut several of my forums down to allow for a short vacation for the site team. I did this by visiting the Forums & Moderators | Modify link in the control panel, and then individually toggling the desired forums to "Is Active? No" in the "Edit Forum" link (found right after the field for changing the order of the forums.)

Members were nonetheless posting to the "off" forums, by visiting the Profiles page, and then clicking on the member's last post.

What am I doing wrong . . . my team would really like a vacation !

just turn the forum off in admin cp vbulletin options

Bulletin Board Active set to no

leave a notice that the board is down for a while etc//
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I think Mandi wants to shut down just a few forums, not the whole board.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes, exactly - I only want a few forums off, and only temporarily. I am familiar with the "whole board off" option, I use it when upgrading, etc. - and in fact have temporarily reverted to this while searching here for an answer to shutting the back door some members found.

Is there something I have overlooked in turning off just a few forums, that would allow this back door posting?

Comment

Shall I assume this is a bug, in light of no directions regarding closing this back door via admin control panel?

Comment

there's an option under Forum Permissions called Open for new posts, by setting it to No you lock that forum.
            You're my Prince of Peace
            And I will live my life for You

Comment

*cheap hack idea* What you could do is make an empty forum viewable only to admins, mass move all the posts from the old forum to this one, make a thread saying the forums are on vacation, and lock the forum from new posts. Then when you want, you can mass move all the posts back to the original forum and delete the one you created.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I appreciate the workarounds; I'll certainly keep them in mind for next time . . . today's the day they will be returned to live, so I won't have a chance to implement them, unfortunately.

Comment

It was reported to me that people who had bookmarked the individual forums, also retained access during the time I had them toggled as "off", as well as the backdoor method reported above.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X