Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seperate Boards running on same database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JaZz0r
    replied
    Okay, I can understand your reasoning behind not allowing table prefixes for the vB mysql database. However, for those of us who are only allowed a single database, would it be possible to at least hard-code the ability to have a separate "test forum database"?

Leave a comment:

• LCD_Angel
    replied
    Well I was looking through a bunch or posts, and I figured out how I could use different styles to make the boards look different while still having the same content.

My question now it.... do I have to change the styles each time a new VB version is released and also did VB 2.2.4 fix the server uploads problem... can I restore the "Encrpttype" lines?

Leave a comment:

• LCD_Angel
    replied
    Sorry,

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was trying to say that I understand why VB wouldn't want to have a feature like that since they would have a problem with people buying only one liscense when they would otherwise need to buy 3 or 4. After rereading my post it does seem a bit a harsh, but I didn't intend it to be an attach on VB developers. After reading the stuff on the forums, I know that the VB guys going an excellent job to make VB the best forum on the net. I was just simply saying that it would be a great feature for myself, but yes no buisness can stay in buisness unless it makes money. If adding a feature like that to VB would reduce their income, than I can see why they wouldn't want to add it.

VB is great and I am happy to use it on my website. Sorry if my previous post sounded rude, it was not my intention. I love VB!

Leave a comment:

• SaintDog
    replied
    Originally posted by LCD_Angel

Well I for one would have no problem in purchasing a seperate license for each website tapping into the forum. I have three websites now and it would be a GREAT feature to be able to use one Database for all three of them. Right now I am just stuck with linking to the forum on 1 of the sites. But I understand you guys are into VB to make money as your #1 goal. Its a buisness and I guess like most other buisnesses the bottomline is your #1 concern.
    Making money is not the #1 goal, if that were true I don't think any company would suceed. Companies in it just for the money tend to fail more than companies in it to provide a service to everyone. Sure, money has to be made, have to pay the server bills and staff somehow, not to mention your off net bills, but I don't think they are in it just for the money.

Just because something you want will not be added teh second you ask for it or in the upcoming version is no reason to be rude (going by the last statement you made). Too much has been done as Wayne said, to just drop it and integrate something else into it.

There are many hackers out there, if you are really looking for this to be done, hire one of them, I am sure at least one of them would be able to (FireFly may be able to do it, who knows).

SaintDog

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Your host doesn't allow multiple databases? You can run multiple vBulletin's on one server using multiple databases.

Not only would having multiple forums in one database make it easier for Jelsoft to lose valid licensing fees, but it is not technically recommended.

When you have multiple high-volume scripts like vBulletin accessing the same database, the chances of your database becoming corrupted increases. When your forums get busy, the stress on the database itself can tear it apart since MySQL can have problems under highload if it isn't setup properly.

If something happens to your database you lose 3 sites and not one. The backup will be monstrous to maintain as well.

There are many reasons why this is not recommended. With most hosts giving out 3 or 4 databases on mid-level packages these days, this shouldn't be much of a concern. If you have your own server, creating a new database literally takes less than 10 seconds and that is if you use PHPMyAdmin to do it. These smaller databases will be less prone to corrupting, use less resources overall than one large database with the same data and be more manageable both in backing up and goodness forbid restoring.

Leave a comment:

• LCD_Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by wluke
    This isn't a hack this is cutting off our revenue stream. While I can understand why someone would want this, I don't think it will happen without the base price of the product tripling or even quadrupling.
    Well I for one would have no problem in purchasing a seperate license for each website tapping into the forum. I have three websites now and it would be a GREAT feature to be able to use one Database for all three of them. Right now I am just stuck with linking to the forum on 1 of the sites. But I understand you guys are into VB to make money as your #1 goal. Its a buisness and I guess like most other buisnesses the bottomline is your #1 concern.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by wluke

I doubt it will be in vB3. Development has progressed to far to go and change everything now. Might review it for a later version but it is not on the todo list.

Somehow I wish I had that todo list

I am very happy to just use one database for one forum, but there are some other stuff I wish to use on my site, and currently that isn't an option, or in some cases, I am afraid to apply the setup, because it is unclear which tables they use. And unfortunatly I do not have the money to upgrade to a bigger account with more the one database, so in this situation the prefix 'would' be handy.

But I do not think this is a high priority, maybe its a nice feature suggestion for next years (or the year after) vB4

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by ccstephen
    BTW I would not mind paying 3-4 times the current price for a full-fledged multiforum vB with total board separation. Maybe it could be included as an option (vB3+)?

ccstephen
    I doubt it will be in vB3. Development has progressed to far to go and change everything now. Might review it for a later version but it is not on the todo list.

Leave a comment:

• ccstephen
    replied
    BTW I would not mind paying 3-4 times the current price for a full-fledged multiforum vB with total board separation. Maybe it could be included as an option (vB3+)?

ccstephen

Leave a comment:

• ccstephen
    replied
    Originally posted by smachol
    Sorry I just don't see it (and yes I'm capable of thinking 'big' .) If someone could run 20-50 separate forums sites with one database then I see absolutely no reason for them to purchase 20-50 licenses - or any more than one license for that matter.
    My point is that it will only be possible to run 20-50 forum sites with one database if traffic is low. With any significant amount of traffic a single database will not be enough simply because MySQL will start failing. Then people will start buying additional licenses. Most people cannot afford converting to Sybase, right?

ccstephen
    Last edited by ccstephen; Wed 13 Mar '02, 2:55pm.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Besides, I've never heard of ANYONE starting up 20-50 separate forums sites at a time - with a free BB or anything else for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Sorry I just don't see it (and yes I'm capable of thinking 'big' .) If someone could run 20-50 separate forums sites with one database then I see absolutely no reason for them to purchase 20-50 licenses - or any more than one license for that matter.

So the only way this makes any sense is if the ability to run multiple forums from one database is sufficient to attract enough new customers to offset the loss in sales to customers that purchase more than one license (like myself for instance.) Not only do I think this is unlikely, I think the opposite is true. There would be very few, if any, new customers, and a significant drop in sales to thse customers who purchase multiple licenses.

Leave a comment:

• ccstephen
    replied
    If you are starting a larger number of forums (eg. 20-50) it is very hard to tell how fast these forums will become succesful and how succesful they will be. Therefore it is very important to keep the initial costs for each forum low and it is very unlikely that anyone would start buying 20-50 licenses.

If it is not possible to run the forums from one common database with a single vBulletin license people would probably go for a free separate board for each forum instead. And then they would probably just stick with that = no revenue for vB.

If it was possible to start out running the forums with one vBulletin license everybody with a sane mind would go for a vB solution simply because vB rules! With just a few of the forums becoming popular MySQL would start whining and additional licenses would be bought = lotsa revenue for vB.

Think BIG!

ccstephen

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by ccstephen
    I think you could in fact increase your revenue by adding this feature since people would start out with only one license but as soon as the forums succeeded in attracting any significant number of members it would very quickly grow to several licenses.
    Why do you think that? If people can use one database for multiple forums, I don't see how this increases the likelihood of them purchasing multiple licenses. In fact I'd say the opposite would occur. There would be absolutely no incentive to purchase another license.

Leave a comment:

• ccstephen
    replied
    I disagree. It will not cut off your revenue stream. Quite the contrary it will add to the many reasons for people to choose vB over competing forums = more revenue.

Of course most people would then start out with having only one license for several separated subforums, but hey how many of your customers start out with having several licenses anyway?

I think you could in fact increase your revenue by adding this feature since people would start out with only one license but as soon as the forums succeeded in attracting any significant number of members it would very quickly grow to several licenses.

If planning to launch a large number of forums (20-50) it would be a really nice feature for the customer as it would allow for flexible growth and a really nice feature for you since it would have high revenue potential.

ccstephen

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X