Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seperate Boards running on same database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seperate Boards running on same database?

Is it possible to have like 3 boards that all share the same database?

I am trying to figure out how I can get 3 of my websites to have what appear to be "seperate" boards, but yet they all feed off of the same database. I am trying to give the appearance of each website having its own different styled board without the users from each site knowing that they are all sharing one board.

Styles are your best option however there will be crossover between the forums as you can't totally separate them without hacking the code.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Okay, well thanks for the info. I was just reading about "partnering forums" on another thread, is that like what I am trying to do? See I don't know ANYTHING about MySql and hacking, I am a Biology major. =) Anyway, if you could explain a little more I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Comment

Would you consider including such a hack in vB3?

I agree with LCD_Angel that it would be great if you could totally separate the forums (individual layout, search, members, no cross-references etc.) while they were still feeding off the same database.

In this way it would be possible to start out with a single database for a variety of different forums and then seamlessly increase the number of databases whenever one of the forums reached a certain size as discussed in this thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=41456

Such a feature would really make vB a forum of unlimited flexibility and growth.

ccstephen
        Last edited by ccstephen; Sat 9 Mar '02, 1:16pm.

Comment

This isn't a hack this is cutting off our revenue stream. While I can understand why someone would want this, I don't think it will happen without the base price of the product tripling or even quadrupling.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I disagree. It will not cut off your revenue stream. Quite the contrary it will add to the many reasons for people to choose vB over competing forums = more revenue.

Of course most people would then start out with having only one license for several separated subforums, but hey how many of your customers start out with having several licenses anyway?

I think you could in fact increase your revenue by adding this feature since people would start out with only one license but as soon as the forums succeeded in attracting any significant number of members it would very quickly grow to several licenses.

If planning to launch a large number of forums (20-50) it would be a really nice feature for the customer as it would allow for flexible growth and a really nice feature for you since it would have high revenue potential.

ccstephen

Comment

Originally posted by ccstephen
              I think you could in fact increase your revenue by adding this feature since people would start out with only one license but as soon as the forums succeeded in attracting any significant number of members it would very quickly grow to several licenses.
              Why do you think that? If people can use one database for multiple forums, I don't see how this increases the likelihood of them purchasing multiple licenses. In fact I'd say the opposite would occur. There would be absolutely no incentive to purchase another license.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If you are starting a larger number of forums (eg. 20-50) it is very hard to tell how fast these forums will become succesful and how succesful they will be. Therefore it is very important to keep the initial costs for each forum low and it is very unlikely that anyone would start buying 20-50 licenses.

If it is not possible to run the forums from one common database with a single vBulletin license people would probably go for a free separate board for each forum instead. And then they would probably just stick with that = no revenue for vB.

If it was possible to start out running the forums with one vBulletin license everybody with a sane mind would go for a vB solution simply because vB rules! With just a few of the forums becoming popular MySQL would start whining and additional licenses would be bought = lotsa revenue for vB.

Think BIG!

ccstephen

Comment

Sorry I just don't see it (and yes I'm capable of thinking 'big' .) If someone could run 20-50 separate forums sites with one database then I see absolutely no reason for them to purchase 20-50 licenses - or any more than one license for that matter.

So the only way this makes any sense is if the ability to run multiple forums from one database is sufficient to attract enough new customers to offset the loss in sales to customers that purchase more than one license (like myself for instance.) Not only do I think this is unlikely, I think the opposite is true. There would be very few, if any, new customers, and a significant drop in sales to thse customers who purchase multiple licenses.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Besides, I've never heard of ANYONE starting up 20-50 separate forums sites at a time - with a free BB or anything else for that matter.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
                      Sorry I just don't see it (and yes I'm capable of thinking 'big' .) If someone could run 20-50 separate forums sites with one database then I see absolutely no reason for them to purchase 20-50 licenses - or any more than one license for that matter.
                      My point is that it will only be possible to run 20-50 forum sites with one database if traffic is low. With any significant amount of traffic a single database will not be enough simply because MySQL will start failing. Then people will start buying additional licenses. Most people cannot afford converting to Sybase, right?

ccstephen
                      Last edited by ccstephen; Wed 13 Mar '02, 3:55pm.

Comment

BTW I would not mind paying 3-4 times the current price for a full-fledged multiforum vB with total board separation. Maybe it could be included as an option (vB3+)?

ccstephen

Comment

Originally posted by ccstephen
                          BTW I would not mind paying 3-4 times the current price for a full-fledged multiforum vB with total board separation. Maybe it could be included as an option (vB3+)?

ccstephen
                          I doubt it will be in vB3. Development has progressed to far to go and change everything now. Might review it for a later version but it is not on the todo list.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by wluke

I doubt it will be in vB3. Development has progressed to far to go and change everything now. Might review it for a later version but it is not on the todo list.

Somehow I wish I had that todo list

I am very happy to just use one database for one forum, but there are some other stuff I wish to use on my site, and currently that isn't an option, or in some cases, I am afraid to apply the setup, because it is unclear which tables they use. And unfortunatly I do not have the money to upgrade to a bigger account with more the one database, so in this situation the prefix 'would' be handy.

But I do not think this is a high priority, maybe its a nice feature suggestion for next years (or the year after) vB4

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
                              This isn't a hack this is cutting off our revenue stream. While I can understand why someone would want this, I don't think it will happen without the base price of the product tripling or even quadrupling.
                              Well I for one would have no problem in purchasing a seperate license for each website tapping into the forum. I have three websites now and it would be a GREAT feature to be able to use one Database for all three of them. Right now I am just stuck with linking to the forum on 1 of the sites. But I understand you guys are into VB to make money as your #1 goal. Its a buisness and I guess like most other buisnesses the bottomline is your #1 concern.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X