Moving servers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving servers...

I'm changing servers. The server I'm on right now is my own computer, so I can do anything I want. I made a .sql dump file from within vBulletin.

The new server does not allow Telnet access, but only FTP and PHPMyAdmin. Since all the instructions for the moving servers guide step 3 require Telnet, how would I go about this using only PHPMyAdmin?
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

I'm not aware of any reliable method of importing a database through phpMyAdmin. You can try to do a search of 'restore database phpmyadmin' to see if anything pops up. Good luck!
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Perhaps your host configured your MySQL account to allow remote access. MySQL could be run locally and connect to the remote database (-h option).
      Cygwin - all the tools to make Windows complete (cvs, vim, diff, grep, gcc, ssh, ...)

Comment

Good idea! Another one is to ask the host to restore the database for you. They only have to run one command line. It's a 2-5 minute job at the most.

Heck it's the least they can do for not allowing telnet/ssh!

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

True, but this is a $10/year host that doesn't officially offer support. Is there a way to do it besides a .sql dump, then? No matter how tedious, short of actually reposting everything manually.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
            True, but this is a $10/year host that doesn't officially offer support. Is there a way to do it besides a .sql dump, then? No matter how tedious, short of actually reposting everything manually.
            nope telnet is the only real way
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

True, but this is a $10/year host that doesn't officially offer support.
              Sorry, but you get waht you pay for.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

hi, I'm a co-admin with filburt

I eventually managed to do it without telnet

If you use phpmyadmin to create a dump of every table (structure and data) on the old server, then run each .sql file through phpmyadmin on the new host, everything will be faithfully recreated.

So if you don't have telnet access, there is still hope - it's tedious, but it works

Comment

...and the other admin is ever-so-grateful

Edit: BTW Chris, update your home page in your profile here

Comment

BTW Chris, update your home page in your profile here
                    good call

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X