X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went with Smachol and had VO upgrade me and all is well
    http://www.softballfans.com
    The Ultimate Softball Community
    Forums, Bat/Equipment Reviews, Team Page Hosting and more!

Comment

Hello all,

Nice friday huh? I am not tech savvy when it comes to network protocols and the like. This question is from someone with the basic knowledge of this stuff, and my site is hosted on "Hostway.com"

Well, ive read through all the posts and im still confused abit to what is the problem and what is the solution.

I understand that hosts patched PHP and it caused something that was normally "on" to be "off". I would call my host and tell them to "turn in on" but...i really don't know what to ask and frankly, i think they would think im just a nut! "Hey..um...turn that thingy "on".

I tried the .htaccess file, but that didn't seem to affect it. I still get the "thread" error.

So, what im asking is, in laymans terms, what can I do or ask to get my host to fix? Or how can i fix it myself?

Comment

If your host has upgraded to PHP 4.1.2 then you should be fine and no action is needed. If they have not upgraded or added the patch you should add the .htaccess file and and change the templates that contain the following:

enctype="multipart/form-data"

Then as I understand it you should be fine.

Comment

How can i edit the "enctype="multipart/form-data"" lines without deleting them?

if i add ";" will that bypass them for now?

Comment

Just add comments around them
            <!-- enctype="multipart/form-data" -->

Comment

For instance in the newthread template I see this:

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="newthread.php" method="POST" name="vbform" onSubmit="return validate(this)">

replace with this:

<form action="newthread.php" method="POST" name="vbform" onSubmit="return validate(this)">

is what Ed means I assume.

Comment

Ok. I created the .htaccess file and put it in my root directory (with the other .files like .bash_history )

Inside the .htaccess file is the line:
                php_flag register_globals on

And then I modifyfied the forum templates with the line:

into
                <!-- enctype="multipart/form-data" --> (using the global Find and Replace)

I found that line in only 3 templates.

But it still doesn't work. I guess im not as lucky as the other guys!

What can I ask my host to do?
                Last edited by scatpack; Sat 2 Mar '02, 8:05am.

Comment

They are most likely aware of the PHP issue. Tell them exactly what you did and see if they have a recommendation based on that. Sound slike you have it right as far as I know. The first thing I'd check is to see if they might have upgraded to 4.1.2 yet.

What is the address of your forum?

Comment

Bronco,

It seems the "find and replace" was the wrong way to do it, so I did the edit by hand and that seems to have fixed it for now.

Thanks for your help!

http://www.scatpack.com

Comment

Good to hear, I know how frustrating it is when things are broke like that

Comment

Will getting rid of the en type thingy cause any..."interesting" probems? Can you please list what templates I gotta edit?
                        Thanks,
                        Huljev.

Comment

Do a search on the string:

and they will come up (there are 3)

Comment

I just deleted them alltogether. Good?

Comment

That's fine, but when your host patches their PHP and turns file uploads on again you will need to go back and "undelete" them.

Comment

Okay...I didn't realize I was going to have to be a wizard at programming and all this stuff just to run a forum on my website.

Can someone put it in PLAIN english what I have to do to get my forum up and running? Perhaps step-by-step? I tried finding the enctype="multipart/form-data" code, but heck, I don' t even know how to edit my templates (I'm still using the same colours the bulletin came in).

I'll email my provider and see if they can upgrade their PHP, but in the meantime I need to get my forums back.

Thanks,
                                Warwick
                                DHrace.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X