Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need fast help: Moving to new server w/o telnet and am REALLY nervous about moving it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need fast help: Moving to new server w/o telnet and am REALLY nervous about moving it

I'm moving my domain to a new server, and I'm really nervous about losing all the weeks worth of custom templates and style changes I've made by hand... I understand the need to for updating dns/namesever info with the registrar...

I've backed up my database using vbullentin 2.2.2's built-in back-up function (downloaded to my computer with all options selected).

PLEASE NOTE: I've made extensive changes to the html---all by hand---to many of the templates as well as the header/footer, etc., of the styles code, and to all the permissions and custom fields, etc.

I have two questions...

1) Despite knowing html pretty well, I have no idea what telnet is. The manual talks about needing telnet, but I assume that is old information since I can use a back-up feature now. If so, do I use the 'import' feature to upload the downloaded mysql database file to the new server? And, did the backup feature backup ALL (every last bit) of my forums including all the custom templates and styles?

2) Also, is it important to use the 'reinstall' (as if a new first-time installation) at the new server, or can I download and then copy over all of the forums directory (php, images, etc.) to the new server? If I use the isntall, do I lose anything or is absolutely everything contained in the mysql file. I understand that at least the button images from the images dir need to be moved to the new images dir. Finally, if the new mysql database engine is going to have a new database name and new password, can I just import that into the config.php file? I know that would work if I reinstalled from scratch, but what if I copy all the files directories and then reimport the database? Does the phpcode always check the config file?

Thanks, guys!

This is a guide to moving your vBulletin database from one server to another.
    Step One - Backup current database:
    • Telnet into your system
    • from the root directory, type mysqldump -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD databasename > /path/to/dump.sql
    • this should only take about than 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on your database size
    • when it is completed, it will bring you back to the prompt
    • verify that you have a dump.sql in the /path/to area you specified
    Step Two - Transfer to new server
    • telnet into machine1, and from the command prompt type the following:
    • machine1$ cd /path/to/yourbackupdirectory
    • machine1$ ftp machine2 (IP or host) - this should open a connection and ask for your username/password
    • ftp> bin
    • ftp> cd /path/to/newdirectory
    • ftp> put dump.sql (should take no more than 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending in the file size)
    • ftp> close
    • ftp> quit
    • verify dump.sql is in the /path/to/new area on the new server
    Step Three - Install vBulletin on new server creating a dummy database (won't be used - you can delete later)
    • (I figure you know how to do that!)
    Step Four - Restore to new server
    • telnet into machine
    • create new database on the mysql (either via phpMyAdmin or telnet)
    • from the root, type mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD newdbname < /path/to/dump.sql
    • this takes a couple of minutes depending on your database size, but you can track the progress either by FTP (checking the /mysql/data/newdbname and see the files appearing) or by phpMyAdmin (you should see the files appearing there)
    • when it is completed, it will bring you back to the prompt
    Step Five - Bringing it back online
    • Go into your config.php and change the database name to the database name you created in Step 4.
    • upload config.php
    • Go into your admin/index.php and then click on "options" and change the URLs and verify the options and click "submit"
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Thanks, Ascendin, but I think that's outdated or something... back for when there was no automated back-up, right?

I don't know what telnet is, but the vbulletin is supposedly all web-managed.

also, my mysql database server is not my server.. i create that database from a web interface from my hosted server.

Comment

okay, first step is saving all my tweaks... does a sql dump do that?

To save every single little custom thing I did (except for images I've uploaded to the images forum directory), do I do a single sql dump (or a backup with all options checked)?

Just want to make sure I won't lose stuff

Comment

My old server is shutting down today... can anyone tell me if I need to do anything beyond an vBulletin AdminControlPanel Backup to my local machine with all options checked in order to save all my custom tweaks to the boards? Also, are board members' user names and passwords backed up in the .sql backup file, too (I searched for my own password in it but couldn't find it)? I'm a bit worried... thanks for any feedback on thsi!

Comment

okay, with my host's help, I've been properly educated on SSH/telnet and how to backup/restore the db.

On a side note, it would be nice to have an equally reliable built-in adminpanel option for not only reliably backing up the entire db, but also restoring it that way...more gui friendly anyway :-) and faster perhaps.

Comment

3 things.

vBulletin is fully web-managed from the aspect of managing your forum. However there is the one aspect - making a backup - that must be done at the server level.

Using SSH/Telnet and the mysql command line to backup your database is the only way we recommend. backup.php is subject to PHP timeouts as well as MySQL errors making it very unreliable. It is only provided in the case that you absolutely must use it - but since you don't have to, we highly recommend that you don't.

Finally, if you had to restore the entire database, you would not be able to login to the admin CP so you couldn't use it to restore, which is why there is no restore tool.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                Finally, if you had to restore the entire database, you would not be able to login to the admin CP so you couldn't use it to restore, which is why there is no restore tool.
                Ummmm... good point... *turns red and then runs*

Comment

Originally posted by zaon

Ummmm... good point... *turns red and then runs*
                  LOL

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X