Vbulletin sending emails as me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vbulletin sending emails as me?

Here's my problem, which is small, but driving me crazy.

We run vbulletin 2.2.2 and qmail. When the site is sending notification emails to users, its doing so as [email protected], and I can't for the life of me figure out why. The webserver admin addy in the httpd.conf is set to [email protected], and i've even resorted to doing a `find / -type f |xargs grep "[email protected]", to no avail.

Where does vbulletin get the address to send emails as? I don't see where it ever got set to my email address, and at just under 12,000 registered users, I get a lot of bounced email :/

Thanks in advance,
    -k
    Kyle Christensen
    PbNation.com - one of the biggest and busiest vbulletin forums on the net!

It's the Webmaster Email set in vBulletin Options > General.

Comment

Thanks for the reply tubedog. Unfortunately, it's set to [email protected], not [email protected]! I've grep'd every config file, dumps of the database, etc.. to no avail.
      Kyle Christensen

Comment

One more place...

Check your php.ini file...
        Boardoo.com - Hosting, Software, WHMCS Addons, and whole lot more.
        Featuring vBLink :: The vBulletin Integration Suite for WHMCS

Comment

That i had setup too.
          What I ended up doing was just patching my private.php and member.php

to switch $webmasteremail to a hardcoded value, and some other crap.

$webmaster="[email protected]";

$headers = "From: \"$bbtitle Mailer\" <$webmaster>\n";
          $headers .= "Return-Path: <$webmaster>\n";
          $headers .= "Reply-To: <$webmaster>\n";

mail ($user[email],$subject,$message,$headers);

*shrug*, seems to be working now, no clue why the real $webmasteremail isn't passing righ when its set right in the db.
          Kyle Christensen

Comment

okay, so that didn't fix it.

I've managed to kludge it so everything appears to be coming from me, except the Return-Path, which is what mailer daemons bounce the emails back as..

Does anyone have any other ideas? It appears to me as if $webmaster email despite being set as [email protected] is always set as [email protected]
            Kyle Christensen

Comment

Does your host possibly have the From value hardcoded somewhere so all emails originate from the address they have set instead of the one you are specifying in vB? That's the only thing I can think of...

Comment

not that i can find tubedogg, do you know offhand what table in the db it gets pulled from? i did a dump of the db and grepped for the email address its sending as, and i wasnt able to come up with anything, it's got me boggled.

As far as i can tell, the $webmaster email variable which is global'd all throughout vb is getting set to [email protected] despite it not being that in the db.

I've hacked in some X-mailer variables, and im going to watch in the next few days to see if the bounced emails i get (from bad user emails) contain that variable, I think at this point the mails i'm getting are old stuff thats been bouncing around on remote systems for a while..

-k
                Kyle Christensen

Comment

Did you ever resolve that problem with Qmail and send-from issue?

I have tried hard-coding emails, with no avail.
                  I also tried having the sendmail path set to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail -t -i on php.ini, but still not working.
                  Was wondering if you had any success...

I'm thinking maybe using qmail-inject instead?
                  dont know..

Comment

no i never fixed the darn thing. I ended up just blackholing that email address and moving on.

i'd LOVE to know whats causing it..
                    Kyle Christensen

Comment

FIXED IT...Kind off

Ok...the problem is with qmail-inject, not the sendmail wrapper.

What you need to do is:

putenv ("QMAILUSER=ForumsAdmin");
                      putenv ("QMAILNAME=Forum Administrator");
                      putenv ("QMAILHOST=forum.com"); <- optional
                      mail ("[email protected]","test","another mesage");
                      The problem comes from all the places that "webmasteremail" is used you need to do a replace.
                      Also, on member.php, the following call exists:

mail($destuserinfo[email],$subject,$sendmessage,"From: \"$bbuserinfo[username]
                      \" <$bbuserinfo[email]>");

what does this line do? it allows to send email to someone directly and put their email address in the "from" field.

The problem is, if you want this to happen, you need to parse the $bbuserinfo[email] and separate the user and the host...
                      or...change the line so that it originates from the Administrator..

Comment

wouldnt it be easier maybe to write a shell wrapper to set environment vars before qmail-injecting rather than hacking the vbulletin code with every release?
                        Tony Rieker | Founder of PBNation.com - one of the LARGEST vBulletin forums on the net!

Comment

ok..
                          but a shell wrapper to what? each php file?
                          or creating a new "mail()" function?

Comment

actually, kippesp had even a better idea:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...099#post281099

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X