marking threads as read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marking threads as read

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how exactly vBulletin determines whether a user has viewed a thread or not. While it seems that this feature is fairly general, (operating off of the logged time of the users last visit?), it also has the ability to determine whether or not a user has viewed a certain thread and offer the "go to first unread post" link if a user has seen the thread before.

I have many users asking me how they can individually check off threads that they have viewed and force vBulletin to remember the threads they have not viewed so they can view them later in the day.

I am assuming also that if a user logs in only once a month or so, that the "view new posts" link does not show them posts from the last month. But what does it show them? How does vBulletin determine a new post?

Is there such a feature as allowing users to mark individual threads as read? Right now I only am aware of the "mark all posts as read" option.

Thanks....

If a thread or post is newer than the user's stored cookie, it is marked as new and unread.

You can't force vBulletin to mark threads as unread.

If the user only logs in once a month or once a year, view new posts will show all posts that are new since the user's last visit there is no limit.

As user's browse the forums, a separate set of cookies is updated that will mark individual threads as read for that session only.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I think I understand

So if I log in at 1:00 and there are 4 posts from 12:45 that show up when I click "view new posts" and I only read two of them in that session,

1. If I'm still in that session, and I click "view new posts" it will now show me only the two that I haven't read.

2. If I go away and return in 1/2 hour and click 'view new posts' it will NOT show me those two, since they were posted before my last visit, but it will show me anything posted since that time.

Is this correct? And do you know of any hacks that make the 'mark as read' feature more powerful than that? Or might this be a feature for future versions?

Thanks for all your help already.

Comment

1. No it will show you all 4 that you have not read.
        2. Correct.

3. There is a hack to do it per-forum but you may want to proceed with caution because of the additional pressure it puts on the server because of the way it is written.
        I'm pretty sure Freddie said there would be a better per-forum read marking system for v3 but I'm not sure if that means what you want.
        And, finally, I can guarantee there will not be a per-thread read-marking system in v3 because the amount of data it would have to handle even for a small board would be enormous and would kill your system.

Comment

thanks a lot. You've been very helpful.

Comment

np

Comment

... Prob with no read....

Ok,

The Problem is:

When I click a thread and the I read them and go back over the navbar the thread is marked as new. I think that's wrong.

You can check this (Guest can write and so on) under http://swishzone.net/vb

Please help me ...

Comment

I mean, that the symbol (arrow_down) for new is not hidden, when I have clicked on the thread...
                it is correct?

Can anybody help me?

Comment

The arrow does not disappear after you have clicked on a thread, until you use the "Mark All Forums Read" link.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                    The arrow does not disappear after you have clicked on a thread, until you use the "Mark All Forums Read" link.
                    THX for the answer, but
                    oh what sh...t is that?
                    when you have a forum with over 200 answer or new posts every day in a board, how can i know what i read and what not... mhh is there a hack outside, that disappaer the button when you have click the thread?

in my old forum is that standard.... I'm worry... not good or is intended implement that in a near release? IMHO is that a essentiell feature...

Comment

The arrow is to go to the newest post and disappears after you use "mark all forums read" or leave the board for at least 15 minutes.

When you click on a thread the marker next to it will turn a different color after you have clicked on it.

Comment

That's one of the main concerns of vBulletin. WHen I was using UltraBoard 2000, I could see what exactly was read for me and what's not. There was no "Mark this forum as read" on UltraBoard, but the system worked flawlessly
                        ~ LANeros.com ~

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                          The arrow is to go to the newest post and disappears after you use "mark all forums read" or leave the board for at least 15 minutes.

When you click on a thread the marker next to it will turn a different color after you have clicked on it.
                          Sorry I'm stupid, Isee no change after a click... please post a image and mark the change after a click ... so sorry for my question I can't see the different (and my Tester also)

Comment

Before clicking...

Comment

After clicking...

This is also noted at the bottom of every forumdisplay page. (new posts / no new posts)

Comment