Forum speed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum speed question

Does having lots of posts stored in the database have any negative affect other than big database size? I mean, does it make the forum slower or increase the server load if you have lots of posts? And should we prune old posts?

Thanks

The larger your database is, the more latency there will be in lookups and searches. However since the database is indexed these are in milliseconds. There is no significant increase on server load whether you have 100,000 messages or 500,000 messages.

Purging posts is subjective to your needs. Many don't ever purge posts and there are vBulletin systems running fine with 3 million posts stored. Your needs may vary so we provided a purge post feature.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks for the reply wluke. Could you please elaborate what you meant by lookups. Also would +100,000 posts make a big difference in searches and lookups?

Thanks
      Last edited by DoST; Wed 20 Feb '02, 12:52pm.

Comment

A lookup would be anything but the most basic query such as sorting the forum display in a new way. These usually use multiple tables and/or indexes and could require the database server to create temporary tables to get the data in the format the user needs.

However MySQL optimizes its reads to give you the best performance possible under its engine. Optimizing your installation of MySQL is the single most important thing to do if you are having resource problems.

The number of posts, threads and users isn't the biggest issue. It is how many users you have online concurrently. The more something is used the more resources that are needed. If you have 100,000 posts and a concurrent user level of 30 people you will need a lot less resources than if there were 100 people. This is where you have to optimize your server. You need to get it so each new person gets as few resources as needed to browse your site.
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 20 Feb '02, 1:02pm.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

yup as wayne said mysql server optimisation is a must for any site which heavily uses mysql

my vB has 590,000+ posts and is flying along http://animeboards.com
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

hi eva
            hmm, since you guys are running Pentiums, i wonder if thats got something todo with MySQL compilation, that is using pgcc instead of gcc.
            pgcc is faster than gcc, but it causes problems with AMDs
            You're my Prince of Peace
            And I will live my life for You

Comment

could be since mysql.com has docs for AMD specific compilation settings as well

also the kernel version as well gcc compiler version can affect the stability of mysql too
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
                could be since mysql.com has docs for AMD specific compilation settings as well

also the kernel version as well gcc compiler version can affect the stability of mysql too
                oh thx eva
                You're my Prince of Peace
                And I will live my life for You

Comment

Originally posted by wluke

The number of posts, threads and users isn't the biggest issue.
                  wluke

Just a quick question. How about having a lot of forums (ie thousands)? I've noticed there's a forum caching going on in forumdisplay, that cached all the forums, but it seems to me that this could be an issue if you have lots of forums. I've made a change to just cache this first level of subforums and I think it's making a big difference (problem is I won't be able to display subforums lower that 1 level in a page, but I don't mind). Could you give me other permormance tunning tips for site's with lots of forums?

Thanks in advance

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X