No announcement yet.

User logged in as wrong user??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just experienced the exact same problem today: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...987#post345987

I run a fairly large forum (9,000+members) and I've never seen this problem before.

I note that both posters are from the UK. They show up as having the same IP. Seems that this really could be a proxy issue.

Jim
    Visit R/C Groups at www.rcgroups.com

Comment

Never mind.

The problem turned out to be due to the ISP of the two posters in question. Apparently their proxy is misconfigured.

Jim
      Visit R/C Groups at www.rcgroups.com

Comment

I think it is proxy related too. But what's the solution?
        Eat Your Veggies

Comment

Set both 'Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)' and 'Browse board with cookies?' to yes for the affected users.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

smachol: This is (imo) what caused the issue in the first place. I switched both users to non-cookie (url based) tracking and the problem disappeared. Setting no-cache headers also helps to cure the problem, and may resolve the issue with cookie-based tracking as well. I've not done enough experimentation (nor do I intend to on a production board) to come up with a definative solution.

Comment

All the members involved have their setting as such smachol. That was the first thing I checked.
              Eat Your Veggies

Comment

ive had this happen under 2.2.5 aswell

Comment

Originally posted by Cynthia
                  All the members involved have their setting as such smachol. That was the first thing I checked.
                  The only other thing I can think of is that these users are accessing your site from the same computer. Otherwise having separate cookies should solve the problem. If it ain't that, then I really don;' know what the solution is.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I haven't posted to this tread for a while as this has been more of an inconvenience than a problem.

Today, I got a report from a privallaged user who has access to many extra forums and is a staff member (although not a moderator).

He found a post posted in his name which he did not make. The content of the post made it obvious that it was someone he works with who also uses my site. I would expect that the other user did not spot he was logged in as someone else, but this outlines that it is happening - although certainly through the same proxy in this case.

On thing that does worry me it that in the UK there are two major Vauxhall car clubs. The VxlSCC and MIG (my club). By pure coincidence, I work with one of the VxlSCC staff members and we connect to the net at work through a single proxy. It would be a major problem if he could see posts in our staff forums.....

I will look into the suggestions made above - but hopefully this will not be a problem in vB3. I am using 2.3.2
                    Mike Warner
                    MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Comment

Bump
                      Mike Warner
                      MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Comment

i have the same problem on my 2.30

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X