User logged in as wrong user??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User logged in as wrong user??

I just had this posted on my board. Both users have "browse using cookies" on in thier profile and do not use the same computer:

Posted by wayne hiscock on 20-02-2002 00:03:

when i log in sometimes i log in with jamie-gsi dont know why and dont know this person. please help me.
    and soz jamie if i done anything with ur log in

----------------------------------------
    Posted by jamie_gsi on 20-02-2002 00:07:

im getting exactly the same but vice versa with you, i have pm'd mike to see if he knows whats going on
    Can anyone explain this as I have never heard of this before and I can not see who this is happening.
    Mike Warner
    MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Update - This is the PM from Jamie:
    hello mate, i keep getting private messages for wayne hiscock come up on my screen when i am logged in as me, this has happened three times now, any ideas
    Mike Warner

Comment

The only times I've heard this happen is when two users are accessing the site from behind the same proxy and they are not using cookies. Do they both have 'Automatically login when you return to site' set to 'yes'?
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have checked and both have auto login set to on.

I have also checked thier IPs - both connect via different methods and usually have a dynamic IP, but in two cases they had the same IP (both from the same ISP). Gobally they are about 100 miles apart.

Another email from them shows that although they may be logged in as themselves, they get each others PM..... seems strange to me.
        Last edited by Mike Warner; Thu 21st Feb '02, 12:59am.
        Mike Warner

Comment

I honestly don't see how this could happen with the standard vB. As I said, I've only heard of this happening when two or more people are accessing the forums from behind the same proxy.

I don't know what could possibly cause this. What version are you running? Have you installed any hacks?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

To do have hacks - but only add ons which do not use code hacks. Not one single file is changed.

I am still running version 2.2.1 - I don't want to upgrade till version 3 as I have put a lot of effort into streamlining my templates and I don't fancy starting again.
            Mike Warner

Comment

I'm running two 2.2.1 boards and have never had a single complaint about this problem. It's a difficult to troubleshoot when you can't duplicate a problem and the description of what is happening runs counter to the way the software is written.

Have you ever tried logging in as these users to see if you can duplicate the problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'll see if I can duplicate the problem. i realise that it would be very difficult to replicate and TBH it isn't a major problem as these two users can be trusted - but if someone was to be logged in as me..........

I'll post here when I have any new info.
                Mike Warner

Comment

I've experienced this before once. It came down to a dodgy proxy server both users were using.

Comment

I got the following PM from Jamie today:
                    its doing it again mike, kepp on getting looged in as other people, today i have been logged in as wayne hiscock, astamaxed, super dave, novagirl17, whats going on mate?? im using bt openworld with ie6, ive deleted all my cookies, files and history and yet it still doesit
                    Seems it is getting worse.
                    Mike Warner

Comment

BTOpenWoe is a very popular service which (I think) employs transparent caching. Try enabling the no-cache headers in your vB and see if it helps. It will up your bandwidth (quite dramatically), but it will solve the problem.

Comment

I use bt openworld and have no problems. The other guy "wayne hiscock" does not use open world.

I can't see that this would be the problem.
                        Mike Warner

Comment

I've had two members report this same problem. They have logged in as someone else. In checking IP numbers I've found that those usernames involved have used the same proxy but they all have auto login and browse with cookies enabled too.

I also found at least 12 other members using this same proxy though no complaints from them.

What to do? To add no-cache headers will cause a server load increase. Will it be a significant increase? Is there no other way to fix this?
                          Eat Your Veggies

Comment

That depends very much on your hardware. Our forums used to run on a RaQ4i with 512mb ram. Load when we had 70 users on without no-cache headers would be 2.00ish, with no-cache headers would be 5.00'ish. I've since moved to a completely dedicated P41.7/1024mb ram job with the database on a seperate hard disk and the load has never gone over 0.8 with nocache headers on, gzip enabled and 130 odd members on at a time.

Give it a try, your milage will vary.

Comment

I guess trying is the only way to find out. Thanks for your reply.
                              Eat Your Veggies

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X