This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zzed
    I created a new user group called Ignored, and modified forumdisplay.php showthread.php and functions.php to make that user invisible to all users except himself, moderators, and administrators.

I didn't assign a title to the user group, and I allowed his title to be determined by his post counts. But in forum display and thread display, I made his name show up in italics. This way when mods and admins are scanning a forum/post they can identify the ignored users.

And yes, anything he posts will never be seen by any registered or any other ignored user.
    i know this is quite old now, but could you post how you accomplished this please. i get the concept, but am not familiar enough with php and vb to do it myself.

thanks.
    Buddha's Bar & Grill

Comment

Originally posted by Zzed
      I have since then come up with various ways of dealing with bad membes a.k.a. trolls.

Here is what I have done:

- Ignored users. They post but no one sees them
      - Blurred users. Anything they post comes out blurry. Here is an example: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=90049
      - Miserable users. I have set up intentional sleeps, up to 60 seconds when they try to click on a link. And using a random number generator, they get server busy message 75% of the time, About 50% of the time, the page load fails, and other times, I throw in a META statement to throw them back in the main index. This one actually drives them nuts.
      - I have also setup IP traps and apssword traps for repeat offenders. I have a list of IP's that if a user, who is banned or ignored, signs up again on the board he/she will automatically become invisible again. Also most people with mulriple ID's tend to use the same password. I have hacked my site to store the plaintext passwords of the users, and I am using that info to also catch them if they come in and I make them invisible.
      - My IP traps also work for guests and unregistered users. If they happen to be one of the trolls they will automatically be treated like a miserable user.

We do get occasional trolls on the board. The funny thing is that the board regulars warn the troll about what will happen to them.

BTW, I just made some enhancements to my Ignore hack. I am just a bit too lazy to publish it. I think if someone were to twist my arm, I'll do it.
      That is fantastic I especially like the blurry post idea. I'm going to have to use this on our next spammer/troller

Comment

Re: Adding a user to everyone's ignore list

Originally posted by FireFly
        If you want to add a certain member to all your users' ignore lists, run this query, replacing XXX with that user's ID:
        Code:
        UPDATE user SET ignorelist=IF(CONCAT(' ',ignorelist,' ') LIKE '% XXX %',ignorelist,CONCAT(ignorelist,' XXX'));
        (KEEP THE SPACES WHERE THEY ARE IN MY POST! )

it all sounds very good but what about us idiots who dont know where to start?

What do i do to make this work? where do i go ect......

sorry.

Comment

Zzed, you're such a tease. Tell us how to do all that stuff, ok?

(Somebody?)

Comment

reverse?

Hi,
            this has been most effective! Thanks! Can you please post the sql to reverse this? I think someone may have learned their lesson.

Comment

The blurry text thing only works for ie.

Comment

This is built into the AdminCP of vb3.
                vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

um duh?

Comment

Originally posted by conqsoft
                    This is built into the AdminCP of vb3.
                    Please look at the date of the original message. This was before there was a vBulletin 3 Admin Control Panel and vBulletin 3 was just a twinkle in its daddy's eye.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X