This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a user to everyone's ignore list

If you want to add a certain member to all your users' ignore lists, run this query, replacing XXX with that user's ID:
    Code:
    UPDATE user SET ignorelist=IF(CONCAT(' ',ignorelist,' ') LIKE '% XXX %',ignorelist,CONCAT(ignorelist,' XXX'));
    (KEEP THE SPACES WHERE THEY ARE IN MY POST! )
    Chen Avinadav
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

hehe
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

There is no bad effect to adding a user to the list multiple times so you don't really need that IF mess

Comment

And I was so proud of myself, damn.
        Chen Avinadav
        Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

The only problem with that is that it is not discrete enough. I haven't tested that code, but I think it will put that user in his own ignore list.

The thing most users complain about the ignore lists is the replacement of that user's post with the text: "This user is in your ignore list..."

I searched for the Ultimate Ignore hack at Vbulletin.org and I couldn't find it. So I wrote my own.

I created a new user group called Ignored, and modified forumdisplay.php showthread.php and functions.php to make that user invisible to all users except himself, moderators, and administrators.

I didn't assign a title to the user group, and I allowed his title to be determined by his post counts. But in forum display and thread display, I made his name show up in italics. This way when mods and admins are scanning a forum/post they can identify the ignored users.

And yes, anything he posts will never be seen by any registered or any other ignored user.

Remember the movie Alien? In space no one can hear you scream...
          Last edited by Zzed; Thu 14th Feb '02, 10:56am.

Comment

add WHERE userid <> XXX

Also you can empty the postbit_ignore (is that the name?) template and you won't see the "this person is on your ignorelist" anymore.

Comment

Hmm what's the diff. bet. this and banning a user?

Comment

Banning a user prevents them from accessing the board at all. Ignoring them is more insidious. They can still access the board and post messages, but no one will be able to see what they've posted. In effect they become 'invisible'.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If you have a forumer who you have banned, but they keep coming back with different IP's, doing an ignore is a great way to deal with them.

Zzed, you going to give us a link?

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan Leblanc
                    If you have a forumer who you have banned, but they keep coming back with different IP's, doing an ignore is a great way to deal with them.

Zzed, you going to give us a link?
                    I have since then come up with various ways of dealing with bad membes a.k.a. trolls.

Here is what I have done:

- Ignored users. They post but no one sees them
                    - Blurred users. Anything they post comes out blurry. Here is an example: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=90049
                    - Miserable users. I have set up intentional sleeps, up to 60 seconds when they try to click on a link. And using a random number generator, they get server busy message 75% of the time, About 50% of the time, the page load fails, and other times, I throw in a META statement to throw them back in the main index. This one actually drives them nuts.
                    - I have also setup IP traps and apssword traps for repeat offenders. I have a list of IP's that if a user, who is banned or ignored, signs up again on the board he/she will automatically become invisible again. Also most people with mulriple ID's tend to use the same password. I have hacked my site to store the plaintext passwords of the users, and I am using that info to also catch them if they come in and I make them invisible.
                    - My IP traps also work for guests and unregistered users. If they happen to be one of the trolls they will automatically be treated like a miserable user.

We do get occasional trolls on the board. The funny thing is that the board regulars warn the troll about what will happen to them.

BTW, I just made some enhancements to my Ignore hack. I am just a bit too lazy to publish it. I think if someone were to twist my arm, I'll do it.

Comment

LMAO we could use this for our trolls

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                        LMAO we could use this for our trolls
                        yes.. especially users called 'sweettits'

Comment

Originally posted by Levelord

yes.. especially users called 'sweettits'
                          BTW Levelord, get a life and stop stalking me all over the net, umm ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Julie

BTW Levelord, get a life and stop stalking me all over the net, umm ok?
                            ahahaha 'sweettits' is on who's board? erm, mine I believe. who's following who? k thx

Comment

Originally posted by Levelord

ahahaha 'sweettits' is on who's board? erm, mine I believe. who's following who? k thx
                              1. User CP
                              2. Edit Ignore List
                              3.. DONE!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X