Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did user register even though moderation was on??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiF
    replied
    The question is, why do you have to have access masks on for this? Seems like a bug and turning masks on is a workaround.

Leave a comment:

• ubbuser
    replied
    Yeah I am curious too how does access masks affects this moderation queue when email validation is on too?

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Originally posted by ubbuser
    Awesome that worked

Thanks a lot for the solution, it had me worried for sometime. BTW would this enable access mask add to the load? I don't use it elsewhere.?
    it will add to the load but not by much that i can see

Leave a comment:

• CondorZ
    replied
    Originally posted by eva2000
    enable access masks

try now and see
    You are kidding?? This actually worked? What do access masks have to do with registration moderation?

Leave a comment:

• ubbuser
    replied
    Methinks the load went up but I'll check on this again

Leave a comment:

• ubbuser
    replied
    Awesome that worked

Thanks a lot for the solution, it had me worried for sometime. BTW would this enable access mask add to the load? I don't use it elsewhere.?

Leave a comment:

• ubbuser
    replied
    Hang on..

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    My coppa grp is totally no posting access, etc. plus the user goes into registration status automatically so how do this grp's permissions matter? however my "enable access masks" is turned off. Is this the problem?

The reason for turning access masks off is that I read the remarks with it "Access masks are a simple way to manage forum permissions, however they add additional queries on most pages. If you don't use it, it is recommended that you disable it."
    enable access masks

try now and see

Leave a comment:

• ubbuser
    replied
    My coppa grp is totally no posting access, etc. plus the user goes into registration status automatically so how do this grp's permissions matter? however my "enable access masks" is turned off. Is this the problem?

The reason for turning access masks off is that I read the remarks with it "Access masks are a simple way to manage forum permissions, however they add additional queries on most pages. If you don't use it, it is recommended that you disable it."

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    i just tried this on my private test 2.2.2 vb forums using the 2nd method of activation account and when i enter the activation id i get the message

Thank you for registering, newusername. Your account has been submitted for moderation by an administrator and will be activated shortly. You will be notified by email when this happens. To return to the forums, click here
    and i get the no permission to post since i have yet to be approved via the moderation queue...

so if you're using 2.2.2 i'd check your coppa awaiting moderation usergroups' permissions as well as ensure access masks are enabled

Leave a comment:

• ubbuser
    replied
    Yes the second link (which is diff. from the first) def. bypasses the moderation queue even if both email verification & moderation queue is on. I am using 2.2.2 on linux (php version).

I will check the first link and come back here soon. BTW thanks alot for the my.cnf info the board seems to be going along fine with those configs

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    BTW wluke says:

what he means to say is verify email takes precedence over moderate new users...

so users are

1. email verified then
    2. moderated by admin

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    eva2000,

What you just said is what I thought email verification and moderation queue is supposed to work as (step by step).

However the quote I pasted enables users to completely bypass the "COPPA User Awaiting Moderation group" status by themselves. It's because the program sends them two ways to activate the account - one via a Link, and the other via info to be entered manually (user name/activation id)

All these users have to do is to check their email, copy the username/activation id information and they are automatically moved from "coppa user awaiting mod. grp" to "registered" group.

I confirmed this myself... so I have again stopped registration
    hmm in that case it might be a bug...

the first link should place the new registered user into coppa awaiting moderation IF moderate new users is enabled

the 2nd link should do the same but in your case you're reporting it doesn't

are you using 2.2.2 ?

do this with verify email and moderate new user enabled

register again and this time on activation click only the first link, and then check your moderation queue is the new user in that queue as coppa user awaiting moderation ?

Leave a comment:

• ubbuser
    replied
    Users are sent two links:

http://www.com/forums/register.php?a...000&i=98055750

This has the register.php as register.php?a=act&u=.....

The above (first) is a link that can be clicked on. I do not know if this automatically moves the user to "registered" grp.

The below (second) comes with user info / activation id instructions:
    ------

http://www.com/forums/register.php?a=ver

This has the register.php as register.php?a=ver

Your Username is: username
    Your Activation ID is: 98055750
    -------

Clicking on the second link (register.php?a=ver) and entering the username/activation id automatically moves the user to "registered" user status, bypassing the moderation option altogether, hence only verifying the email address.

Leave a comment:

• ubbuser
    replied
    BTW wluke says:

If you have the email confirmation function turned on it will override the moderate new users option.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X