Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did user register even though moderation was on??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did user register even though moderation was on??

Hi I have registration on, and usermoderation on. That is, before activation every user gets into the "coppa/moderation" list, and then I or a moderator moves the user to the "registered" user list after validation.

Now I noticed that one user has registered and has already posted a message here. His Join date is: 2002-02-10 08:59:27

What's going on ? Is the information that's sent to each user allowing them to get into registered status without prior validation? There is something that says if the link does not work, try these username: password: Does that allow them to skip the moderation queue?

If you have the email confirmation function turned on it will override the moderate new users option.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Yep this is a problem indeed, or I understand the process incorrectly.

I have moderation on, along with new user registration on.

So every new user after reg. goes to "coppa/users awaiting moderation" group.

However even though their status now is restricted as per the above grp, these users get this message too when they register:

If the above link does not work, please use your Web browser to go to:

/forums/register.php?a=ver

Please to be sure not to add extra spaces. You will need to type in
      your username and activation number on the page that appears when you
      click on our copy the above link in your browser.

Your Username is: username
      Your Activation ID is: someidnumbers
      Using this information, all users in the moderation queue conveniently bypass the queue and get into registered status right away. I have tested it out and this is the case...so the moderation tag is of no use.

Any fix for this? One is that I remove the extra info that I quoted above from the template altogether.

Thanks!

Comment

Hmm that's weird... ok so if email confirmation is on, moderation queue is of no use. So I cannot moderate users and at the same time check the validity of their email addresses? What'sup with this?

Comment

moderating new users registrations with verify email address option enabled works like

1. the user registers and is put into the User Awaiting Email Confirmation group

2. once the user activates and confirms the email/account they are put into COPPA User Awaiting Moderation group - only then does the admin panel home page shows a number displayed on the first page like

There are currently 24 user(s) awaiting moderation.

3. you approve them them they are put into Registered User group

i'd recheck the awaiting confirmation and coppa user awating moderation usergroup's permissions
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I need moderation queue and email confirmation because some retard keeps making accounts from a PPP provider and diff. IP's.

He makes diff. free email accounts so verification works fine for him.

However I want to prevent him from getting into "registered" status, at the same time keep opening valid email accounts so he tires off eventually.

I thought that "moderation queue" and "verify email" would work the way I referred to above, that is together - verify and get into moderation queue.

Now if I don't have email verification on, any user can enter any email address and I will be able to moderate his registration, that's fine. The downside is that he/she can enter any useless email addresses...?

Comment

not sure what the problem is what i outlined will do just what you want
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

eva2000,

What you just said is what I thought email verification and moderation queue is supposed to work as (step by step).

However the quote I pasted enables users to completely bypass the "COPPA User Awaiting Moderation group" status by themselves. It's because the program sends them two ways to activate the account - one via a Link, and the other via info to be entered manually (user name/activation id)

All these users have to do is to check their email, copy the username/activation id information and they are automatically moved from "coppa user awaiting mod. grp" to "registered" group.

I confirmed this myself... so I have again stopped registration

Comment

BTW wluke says:

If you have the email confirmation function turned on it will override the moderate new users option.

Comment

Users are sent two links:

http://www.com/forums/register.php?a...000&i=98055750

This has the register.php as register.php?a=act&u=.....

The above (first) is a link that can be clicked on. I do not know if this automatically moves the user to "registered" grp.

The below (second) comes with user info / activation id instructions:
                    ------

http://www.com/forums/register.php?a=ver

This has the register.php as register.php?a=ver

Your Username is: username
                    Your Activation ID is: 98055750
                    -------

Clicking on the second link (register.php?a=ver) and entering the username/activation id automatically moves the user to "registered" user status, bypassing the moderation option altogether, hence only verifying the email address.

Comment

Originally posted by ubbuser
                      eva2000,

What you just said is what I thought email verification and moderation queue is supposed to work as (step by step).

However the quote I pasted enables users to completely bypass the "COPPA User Awaiting Moderation group" status by themselves. It's because the program sends them two ways to activate the account - one via a Link, and the other via info to be entered manually (user name/activation id)

All these users have to do is to check their email, copy the username/activation id information and they are automatically moved from "coppa user awaiting mod. grp" to "registered" group.

I confirmed this myself... so I have again stopped registration
                      hmm in that case it might be a bug...

the first link should place the new registered user into coppa awaiting moderation IF moderate new users is enabled

the 2nd link should do the same but in your case you're reporting it doesn't

are you using 2.2.2 ?

do this with verify email and moderate new user enabled

register again and this time on activation click only the first link, and then check your moderation queue is the new user in that queue as coppa user awaiting moderation ?

Comment

Originally posted by ubbuser
                        BTW wluke says:

what he means to say is verify email takes precedence over moderate new users...

so users are

1. email verified then
                        2. moderated by admin

Comment

Yes the second link (which is diff. from the first) def. bypasses the moderation queue even if both email verification & moderation queue is on. I am using 2.2.2 on linux (php version).

I will check the first link and come back here soon. BTW thanks alot for the my.cnf info the board seems to be going along fine with those configs

Comment

i just tried this on my private test 2.2.2 vb forums using the 2nd method of activation account and when i enter the activation id i get the message

Thank you for registering, newusername. Your account has been submitted for moderation by an administrator and will be activated shortly. You will be notified by email when this happens. To return to the forums, click here
                            and i get the no permission to post since i have yet to be approved via the moderation queue...

so if you're using 2.2.2 i'd check your coppa awaiting moderation usergroups' permissions as well as ensure access masks are enabled

Comment

My coppa grp is totally no posting access, etc. plus the user goes into registration status automatically so how do this grp's permissions matter? however my "enable access masks" is turned off. Is this the problem?

The reason for turning access masks off is that I read the remarks with it "Access masks are a simple way to manage forum permissions, however they add additional queries on most pages. If you don't use it, it is recommended that you disable it."

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X