length of signatures and posts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• length of signatures and posts!

We run the linkin park message board with 65k users and we get spammers from time to time.

After turning off images, HTML, VBScript and all other features that evil people could use against us, the latest rage in spamming is to past the entire text of War and Peace or Julius Ceasar into a signature with a nominal post. This is obviously VERY disruptive!

How can we restrict the length of signatures?

thanks
    Sparkart

Re: length of signatures and posts!

Originally posted by sparkart
    We run the linkin park message board with 65k users and we get spammers from time to time.

After turning off images, HTML, VBScript and all other features that evil people could use against us, the latest rage in spamming is to past the entire text of War and Peace or Julius Ceasar into a signature with a nominal post. This is obviously VERY disruptive!

How can we restrict the length of signatures?

thanks
    turn it off.
    Post a "an announcement" that you will be putting users with LONG sigs into probration (that means yu put them into a group with no posting rights) and say that you will only allow signatures say no more than 10 lines (and images count has 10 lines). Anyone caught with a longer sig, shall be put back into probation until they clean up their sig.

Moderation is key

There is a hack as well at vb.org
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

Sparkart check out this neat javascript util ... a simple edit to the profile/reg templates should do the trick! If you are interested PM me and I will work with you to get this thing working as I would rather it be a template mod than anything else.

Maxlength for textarea html tag

Comment

Originally posted by ubbuser
        Sparkart check out this neat javascript util ... a simple edit to the profile/reg templates should do the trick! If you are interested PM me and I will work with you to get this thing working as I would rather it be a template mod than anything else.

Maxlength for textarea html tag
        hehe, sorry, if its JS, I can get around it.

Moderation is key.
        Nothing will stop the more mischiveous from getting around it.
        If its HTML, i can get around it.
        If its JS, I can get around it
        There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

JS is especially escapable (is that a word?) because users can disable JavaScript in their browsers.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X