Internet Explorer 6.0 Cookie problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer 6.0 Cookie problem

I have had a few users who are using IE6 complain that they are having problems with the forums, particularly when they are posting or replying to messages. Below is the email I got from a friend who was browsing our forums with IE6:

-------------------------------------

Any idea when the IE6 bug will be fixed on your site?

I cannot post anything. Keeps asking me to key in my user name and password. I enter it, go to post, hit send and BOOM! Up comes the request for my user name and password. i type it in again, and then it comes up with an OTS Forum Message : No thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the Webmaster.

Frustrating

I have a clear port on my router, no blocking software, I accept your cookies (mmm.. peanutbutter cookies!!...thanks!), and I have tried the clear session button. Same thing happens at home. My system here at work is a new install, so... hard to blame it on windows at the moment. Just an IE 6 and forum problem.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------

Anyone else experiencing this problem? I don't have IE6 on my computer, so I couldn't recreate it ... although I DO know that some of my forum visitors who have IE6 don't encounter the same problems... Thanks in advance for any help...
    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
    "Tech is our middle name!"

I've been running IE 6 for about 3 months now and except for a couple of problems at first, I haven't had any problems.

Howver based on what I've read, I do believe that cookies tend to get corrputed easier with IE 6 than with earlier versions of IE. The only way I know to 'fix' this is to manually delete the cookies. Using vB's 'clear cookies' and IE's 'Delete cookies' functions aren't enough sometimes. When these don't work, the only option is to locate the specific cookies and manually delete them.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

tell them to lower their privacy setting in internet tools to accept all cookies..
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

This problem occurs in IE 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 on my boards. I have even had users manually delete all cookies and they still have the problem when posting. Never have a problem with Netscape users, so, it's a IE problem for sure.

Rod

Comment

I have the same problem.. I have done everything required at w3c.com and still am having problems with this...Anyeone get past this?

Comment

A user's cookies in IE 6 may not work for several reasons....
            • They had a previous cookie under an older version of IE that got corrupted when they upgraded.
            • Their cookie settings are too restrictive and there is not a valid P3P policy in effect at the site.
            • They marked your site as untrustworthy.
            • They had a valid cookie and you created or changed your P3P policy and thereby invalidated their existing cookie.
            • They have a valid cookie and you have a valid P3P policy but utilize off-site advertising which tries to write its own cookies which they don't allow.

The only way to resolve it is to remove the cookies and issue new ones satisfying the P3P and user setting requirements.

In all versions of IE, if the user has your site loaded and the browser crashes, there is a chance that the cookie will be corrupted. In this case it needs to be deleted and rebuilt.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Bump:

And so the best way to RESOLVE this problem is what?

Because we have atleast two emails a day about this....
              RussellGreenwood
              http://forums.buffydownunder.com

Comment

Well we can't control the cookies on an end-users machine. The best way to handle it would to be to educate your users and help them step through any cookie related problems so they can continue enjoying your site.

Sorry wish there was a better answer unfortunately there isn't.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I get 5 emails per day about this and even after users delete their old cookies half the time that doesn't work. It is now my number one user support problem as we go back and forth when deleting cookies doesn't work. It is on their side because some users try another computer in their house and it works fine.
                  Marc
                  -------

Comment

That's very strange. I have two forums running and I haven't had anyone contact me about a cookie problem in several months.

Just out of curiousity, what do you have for the Cokkie Domain in your Admin CP?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

smachol,

cookie domain is set to

".rcuniverse.com"

this should cover the entire domain for cookies, right?
                      Marc
                      -------

Comment

Take off the leading '.' in front of rcuniverse. Or better yet, just leave this field blank. That's how I have mine set.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

would do that but...what if a user goes to www.rcuniverse.com and then a day later to www2.rcuniverse.com and then another time to whatever.rcuniverse.com or just "rcuniverse.com"?

If I leave off the period or leave blank won't it mess this up? I thought the docs said you need the period if you are going to do this...also I have mac and IE6 and I have no problem...also we have 5400 members and of course 5000 have no problem but the other 400 plus 5 more each day from new users is driving me nuts...

I will say I think that the problem started when I changed from it being blank to putting in what I had above...but that should not cause this problem, right? Any of the developers know why this could be an issue?

thanks
                          Marc
                          -------

Comment

As I said I have mine blank and it works just fine. Here's the documentation from the Admin CP:

Cookie Domain
                            The domain on which you want the cookie to have effect. If you want this to affect all of yourhost.com rather than just forums.yourhost.com, enter yourhost.com here. Can be left blank.
                            Note that it does not mention a '.' in front of the domain and that it says it can also be left blank. It seems pretty clear to me.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Mine does mention the dot (I'm using 2.2.1)

Cookie Domain
                              The domain on which you want the cookie to have effect. If you want this to affect all of yourhost.com rather than just forums.yourhost.com, enter .yourhost.com here (note the 2 dots!!!). Can be left blank.

If I do want it to affect all of my domain (i.e. rcuniverse.com and all hosts with it rather than just "www.rcuniverse.com") then according to this I must enter it just like I had...if left blank according to the way this reads the cookies would not affect other hosts on my domain like www2.rcuniverse.com
                              Marc
                              -------

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X