• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to restore a backupp from vbb

how do i that

See this page step 4: http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Comment

yeh i read this but in vbulletin cpanel there is a backupp i have done this can i no't use this to restore my database with
      i can't find a tool in cpanel to restore this backupp

Comment

Step 4 doesn't refer to the CP, it refers to running the backup manually from the shell. You need to telnet or ssh into your shell to do this.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

In step one when it tells you to telnet it and dump the database is this the same as the backup thru the CP?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbydavro
            In step one when it tells you to telnet it and dump the database is this the same as the backup thru the CP?
            No, it's telling you to back up by telnetting to the shell.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I am about to install the VBlinks hack on my 2.2.1, which concerns me greatly as it makes many changes to the d-base.

I have done the backup in the CP and downloaded my styles, is there anything else I should be backing up? and what do I do if it go's tits up and I need to restore (the reason I've tagged into this post! ) Do i just follow the advise thats been given here?

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Comment

So What is the difference by telnetting in and backing up and backing up thru the CP? should I always be backing up by telnetting and ignore the CP backup?

Comment

generally back ups through are prone to php time outs which render the back ups incomplete especially in the case of large mysql database sizes i.e. 100+MB in size

telnet/shell method of backing up is the most reliable way to backup
                  :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                  :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                  :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

The preferred and most reliable method of backup is by telnetting and following the process outlned in movingservers.html. That's why this is part of the online documentation.

While the CP backup can work, it can often timeount with larger databases (or busier servers) and create an incomplete backup. For this reason, it is not considered reliable.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

OK but assuming I didn't get a timeout thru the CP then it would be the same as telnetting?

Comment

OK but assuming I didn't get a timeout thru the CP then it would be the same as telnetting?
                        most likely yes.

easiest way is to reimport the backup into an empty newly created database and view the tables via phpmyadmin to see if the back up is complete

only thing is to reimport you need to it via telnet/shell anyway... see what i'm getting at ?
                        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

No, you cannot assume this. If you want the most reliable backup possible, follow the instructions in 'movingserver.html'.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yes indeed, I will do backing up thru telnet from no on

as mentioned earlier is there anything else I should be backing up and if anything go's wrong is this all I need to do to restore?

Also is there no instructions just referring to backing up and restoring, only moving?
                            Last edited by bobbydavro; Thu 7th Feb '02, 8:44am.

Comment

Yes indeed, I will do backing up thru telnet from no on

as mentioned earlier is there anything else I should be backing up and if anything go's wrong is this all I need to do to restore?

Also is there no instructions just referring to backing up and restoring, only moving?
                              read http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=35963

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X