Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer vbulletin to a new server

hi there,

I am running my vbulletin for more than a half year now and have over 8000 postings in it.
    There are about 1000 registered users.
    Now I want to transfer the WHOLE Board including all the registered users of course to a new webserver. A mySQL-database is installed on this server. How can I do this? Can I do a back-up of the board and copy this backup to the new server? What is the best way of doing it without losing any data?

Thanx a lot for your help

Regards

Alexandra

Step One - Backup current database:
    • Telnet into your system
    • from the root directory, type mysqldump -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD databasename > /path/to/dump.sql
    • this should only take about than 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on your database size
    • when it is completed, it will bring you back to the prompt
    • verify that you have a dump.sql in the /path/to area you specified
    Step Two - Transfer to new server
    • telnet into machine1, and from the command prompt type the following:
    • machine1$ cd /path/to/yourbackupdirectory
    • machine1$ ftp machine2 (IP or host) - this should open a connection and ask for your username/password
    • ftp> bin
    • ftp> cd /path/to/newdirectory
    • ftp> put dump.sql (should take no more than 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending in the file size)
    • ftp> close
    • ftp> quit
    • verify dump.sql is in the /path/to/new area on the new server
    Step Three - Install vBulletin on new server creating a dummy database (won't be used - you can delete later)
    • (I figure you know how to do that!)
    Step Four - Restore to new server
    • telnet into machine
    • create new database on the mysql (either via phpMyAdmin or telnet)
    • from the root, type mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD newdbname < /path/to/dump.sql
    • this takes a couple of minutes depending on your database size, but you can track the progress either by FTP (checking the /mysql/data/newdbname and see the files appearing) or by phpMyAdmin (you should see the files appearing there)
    • when it is completed, it will bring you back to the prompt
    Step Five - Bringing it back online
    • Go into your config.php and change the database name to the database name you created in Step 4.
    • upload config.php
    • Go into your admin/index.php and then click on "options" and change the URLs and verify the options and click "submit"
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X