Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to 222

Hey guys,

I will upgrade from 221 to 222 but just wanted to be sure what I am doing before proceeding so please confirm:

1- Upgrading installation states:
    > From 2.2.1 Upload all the files except install.php, then load up this web page:
    Well, this seems clear enough but I am not sure if this still means uploading Images directory (especially if we changed some images over there!) and most importantly vbulletin.style file in the Admin directory?!?

If I am not wrong this file keeps the templates and styles we have, so can overwriting it cause the loss of existing templates?

2- I had extreme modifications in my templates. (Let's say complete translation of the script to another language. Well, spent long hours!) In fact I didnt touch the default template set, instead created a new one named "THS" and changed it. However I really dont want to lose my existing templates in any way. So besides overwriting or not overwriting the vbulletin.style file, I want to learn how to upgrade the changing templates of 222 without touching the others.

In instructions it is told that "it is seriously recommended using the 'revert' option to return them to the default template". Does it include the DEFAULT template itself or all existing template sets. For example I modified my second template set THS and am I suppose to revert the relevant templates in THS template set only (or together with default)?

I tried to be clear enough but if it is too confusing please tell me to articulate. :P Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Logician's Blog | WebTemplates for vb 3.7.x : VB Integrated Content Management System
    I do NOT do custom work, so please do not PM/email me for such projects. Thanks for understanding..

Re: Upgrading to 222

Originally posted by Logician
    Hey guys,

I will upgrade from 221 to 222 but just wanted to be sure what I am doing before proceeding so please confirm:

1- Upgrading installation states:
    Yep, just follow the upgrade instructions and run the upgrade15.php file as mentioned in the announcement!

Well, this seems clear enough but I am not sure if this still means uploading Images directory (especially if we changed some images over there!) and most importantly vbulletin.style file in the Admin directory?!?
    I didn't upload the images, I uploaded the files, with overwrite.
    Then I uploaded the images, with "skip if excist' option, so my own images dont get replaced, and new ones get uploaded. My connection was really fast, so I didn't notice it uploading any image. Oh.. no, it is not required to upload them as far as I know.
    If I am not wrong this file keeps the templates and styles we have, so can overwriting it cause the loss of existing templates?
    in the upgrade instructions it also says: check if you have modfied these templates, if so, ..
    It wont alter any templates, just 2 .. and you can re-apply most template hacks afterwards, just follow the install/upgrade instructions
    2- I had extreme modifications in my templates. (Let's say complete translation of the script to another language. Well, spent long hours!) In fact I didnt touch the default template set, instead created a new one named "THS" and changed it. However I really dont want to lose my existing templates in any way. So besides overwriting or not overwriting the vbulletin.style file, I want to learn how to upgrade the changing templates of 222 without touching the others.

In instructions it is told that "it is seriously recommended using the 'revert' option to return them to the default template". Does it include the DEFAULT template itself or all existing template sets. For example I modified my second template set THS and am I suppose to revert the relevant templates in THS template set only (or together with default)?
    Uhm, that sentence you parsed, if only for a FEW templates, not all the templates.
    I tried to be clear enough but if it is too confusing please tell me to articulate. :P Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    no problem.

Comment

Hey there,

xiphoid first thx for your answer..

I have recently upgraded the board, let me share my experience so other guys may use it:

1- no need to save vbulletin.style file in the Admin directory in upgrade. I overwrited it and it worked (I kept my template changes)

2- As for images, you have a point. If you edited them you'd better not overwrite them. There seems no change in the images directory so no need to upload it to the server..

3- If you have a second(or third) template which is modified like me, you dont need to worry about losing the modifications, upgrading does not overwrite them. However so as to have the new modified templates that comes with the upgrade you HAVE TO revert these specific templates to the original, otherwise upgrade wont change them so you'll not have template upgrade. I checked which template modifications are important for me and BEFORE running upgrade15.php I reverted them to original and AFTER upgrade I edited them again. I left others intact so did upgrade..

4- No need to worry about new template add-ins.. no matter what upgrade adds them to your board..
      Logician's Blog | WebTemplates for vb 3.7.x : VB Integrated Content Management System
      I do NOT do custom work, so please do not PM/email me for such projects. Thanks for understanding..

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X