How does search index work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does search index work?

Hi how does the search index work? Do i have to keep updating the index or it builds itself as users add more posts? Thx!

Every new post is automatically indexed. I've only rebuilt my idexes maybe once in the last 8 months.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

edited

How about edited posts? Suppose a user makes a typo in his original post which he corrects afterwards. Does the corrected word also gets indexed? Do the indexed words from the original post get removed from the index?
      Regards,

Patrick Van der Veken
      http://www.baanboard.com
      'True strength lies in gentleness - Irish proverb'

Comment

Re: edited

Originally posted by patvdv
        How about edited posts? Suppose a user makes a typo in his original post which he corrects afterwards. Does the corrected word also gets indexed? Do the indexed words from the original post get removed from the index?

Yes,
        I just edited a post: test: INDXTSTWRD and saved the post.
        Then went to search and entered indxtstwrd and it found it.
        Without having to update anything through the Admin control panel.

No,
        I just edited the post with the word: INDXTSTWRD and removed it. And saved the post.
        Then I searched for: INDXTSTWRD and it found the post .. just didn't highlight the word INDXTSTWRD .. (for its not really there no more).. My conclusion now is: it has to be updated..

Comment

After posts are edited they are re-indexed.

You should only rebuild your search index after removing lots of posts, like mass pruning threads.
          Chen Avinadav
          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

Thanks Firefly, that's exactly what I was hoping for
            Regards,

Patrick Van der Veken
            http://www.baanboard.com
            'True strength lies in gentleness - Irish proverb'

Comment

...except now posts are automatically removed from the searchindex when pruning so there is really no need for that.

The only time you really *have* to rebuild your searchindex is
              - After importing (from UBB or another board)
              - If your search/searchindex/word table(s) crash and need to be repaired, it is best to empty and rebuild

Comment

I just changed from a minimum letter count of 3 down to 2 as my site has many product names with 2 letters. It seems I would need to re-index to catch all the old stuff with 2 letters, right?

Is the correct procedure to first empty the indexes from the admin cp and then re-index from the admin cp? Can this be done completely safe while the board is open and running? I know it goes faster if I close the board but if I did leave it open will there be any database corruption or problems?

Just curious is it just the "word" and "searchindex" tables that are modified when you reindex?

thanks.
                Marc
                -------

Comment

Yes to all questions except whether it will cause corruption, which is a No.

Comment

Originally posted by mvigod
                    I just changed from a minimum letter count of 3 down to 2 as my site has many product names with 2 letters. It seems I would need to re-index to catch all the old stuff with 2 letters, right?

Is the correct procedure to first empty the indexes from the admin cp and then re-index from the admin cp? Can this be done completely safe while the board is open and running? I know it goes faster if I close the board but if I did leave it open will there be any database corruption or problems?

Just curious is it just the "word" and "searchindex" tables that are modified when you reindex?

thanks.
                    yes reindex if you change the min/max characters and want that to work for past posts

empty index and reindex while the forum is closed and at the quietest time of the day (lowest cpu/memory load) preferably for faster indexing
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Where and how do you change the minimum word length?

Comment

Originally posted by OdyClub
                        Where and how do you change the minimum word length?
                        vBulletin Options in your control panel.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X