Only allow admins/mods to start new threads in specific forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only allow admins/mods to start new threads in specific forums

The title says it all, basically. I'm wanting to restrict the creation of new threads in my news/features/reviews forums to only admins and mods, but still allow anyone to reply to threads in those forums.

This was easily accomplished in UBB but I've yet to work out how to do this (or if it is at all possible) in vBulletin/vbPortal (as I'm still very new to it!).

Any help on this ASAP would be very much appreciated, as my site is set to launch at any moment (ie as soon as the domain name kicks in)!

Cheers,
    Eric J. Moreels
    ComiX-Fan Owner/Administrator
    e-mail: [email protected]
    Web: http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/

Go to your Admin CP > User Groups > Modify Forums. (note, go to Modify FORUMS not just Modify.) Find the name of your news forum (for starters, then repeat these steps for the other forums).
    Under that forum, find the Registered group. Click [edit] next to that. Now, set the permissions you wish for them have (e.g. No to new threads, Yes to replying, etc.) and make sure you select the radio button next to Use Custom Permissions (or else they won't stick). Save when you're done. Now if you allow any of your other groups to post new threads/etc. by default, you must edit them in the same way as you did the Registered group (if it's only your regged group & higher that's allowed to post, ignore this).

Repeat the above for each forum that you wish to disallow whatever actions for. Keep in mind that permissions cascade; that is, if you set permissions for a parent forum, they will automatically be set in any child forums.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
      Keep in mind that permissions cascade; that is, if you set permissions for a parent forum, they will automatically be set in any child forums.
      Perfect! Thanks tubedogg
      Eric J. Moreels
      ComiX-Fan Owner/Administrator
      e-mail: [email protected]
      Web: http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/

Comment

Yup

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X