Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable profile link for thread starters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable profile link for thread starters?

Hi all the default templates are setup so that every "thread starter" is displayed within a link that if clicked shows the profile.

I would just like to display the username nothing else - no links.

I checked out template forumdisplaybit which has the following in it for "threadstarter"

<td bgcolor="{secondaltcolor}" width="30%" nowrap><normalfont>$thread[postedby]</normalfont></td>

Obviously the value of $thread[postedby] is a HTML A href tag automatically.

Is there any value in the database that is not a tag and gives just the name of the original thread starter...? Thanks!

Plus, same for "Replies" Column in each forum display. I just prefer having the # of replies, not a link to a list of who replied. How to just display a plain # and nothing else - no link?

Comment

These are easily changed in the templates. Go to your admin cp and then to your templates.

Now, to remove the link to the user's profile in the Last Posted by you need to go to your forumhome_lastpostby and simply find this:

Code:
      <a href="member.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&action=getinfo&find=lastposter&forumid=$forum[forumid]">$forum[lastposter]</a>
      and change it to this:
      Code:
      $forum[lastposter]
      Now, to remove the links when viewing the threadlist within a forum, go to forumdisplaybit and find:
      Code:
      <a href="member.php?action=getinfo&find=lastposter&threadid=$thread[threadid]">$thread[lastposter]</a>
      and change it to
      Code:
      $thread[lastposter]
      That should remove the link under the Last Posted column. As for removing the link in the Thread Starter column... I don't know how to do that. In the forumdisplaybit it shows the varible $thread[postedby] but it doesn't have a link around it. Maybe someone else can help you out on that one.

Hope that helps!
      - James
      http://forums.smaaash.com

Comment

Thanks but it still does not resolve the "thread starter" and "views" link question

Comment

Anyone have a fix of setting the forumdisplay column variables like the way I requested above? Thanks.

Comment

Anyone have a solution to this question?

Comment

Just search your templates (there is that function included in vbulletin). just find the html for it. All links start with <a href> so it'll be easy to find.

forumdisplay is the templates you need to search.
              There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

Someone around here has an UBB inspired template set if that is what you are trying to achieve.

Comment

Freddie LOL

Well, it's not that only. It helps to speed up the board download as the text downloaded is less (no links = no html tags = less text downloaded). Saves on my bandwidth.

Comment

How many users do you get concurrently? Have you turned on GZip compression? I think you will find the board uses less bandwidth than you think.

Comment

Hello tubedogg thanx for the replies. Yes about 65-90 since I installed and got the forum running with about 10 forums. Yes I have to see how much bandwidth is being used actually.

I have mod_gzip Apache module running and working now.

Comment

If you multiply my use out, I have about 10 to 15 users concurrently most of the day, so that's about 1/5 to 1/6 of your users, and I use about 300MB a month in board bandwidth with GZIP on, so all other things being even I'd say you're looking at about 2 to 3GB per month which is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Working...
                        X