Moving to new server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to new server

I am doing a migration of my forum from http://sg.gs/~sanguo/vbb/index.php to http://forums.sanguo-online.com

We had followed the steps but after importing the MySQL dump files, the indexpage is blank...Although we can still acess the Admin Control panel

So we do a clean installation and its ok..Here is a screenshot.

Here are the new server info :
    mysql version - 3.23.36
    php - php4.0.6
    apache - 1.3.22
    iHu6.com (BETA) - www.ihu6.com

make sure you uploaded all php files in ASCII mode and that you changed the bburl in options to the new location
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
      make sure you uploaded all php files in ASCII mode and that you changed the bburl in options to the new location
      THe php files are all right,,,from the screenshot u can see that if we do a "clean" installation..everything is fine...but after "importing" the database..it gone blank...

DO we upload the MySQL backup files "forum-xxx-x.sql" in ASCII or binary??

Comment

Originally posted by freehtml
        You mean via FTP to your server before importing it? ASCII.

Comment

THe php files are all right,,,from the screenshot u can see that if we do a "clean" installation..everything is fine...but after "importing" the database..it gone blank...

i'd try and restore the back.sql into a empty separate database and use phpmyadmin to view tables to see if the database backup was complete... how did you backup your database ?

telnet?

vB backup ?

phpmyadmin ?

last 2 have been known to time out and not give a complete backup
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Armstrong

You mean via FTP to your server before importing it? ASCII.
            what if we choose to also backup the "attachments" when we do
            the back up??

And the backup to local HDD or to server seems very slow..and sometime it just "hang"

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000

i'd try and restore the back.sql into a empty separate database and use phpmyadmin to view tables to see if the database backup was complete... how did you backup your database ?

telnet?

vB backup ?

phpmyadmin ?

last 2 have been known to time out and not give a complete backup
              I backup using the vB backup..and my new web host also try to dump the MySQL files...just don't work..

Comment

I give up...I decided to do a new isntallation instead..

Comment

The most reliable way to backup and resotre is through telnet. I wouldn't trust any other method.

Also, since attachments are stored in the database, the db backup will contain them as well.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
                    The most reliable way to backup and resotre is through telnet. I wouldn't trust any other method.

Also, since attachments are stored in the database, the db backup will contain them as well.
                    In this way...do we need to telnet in BINARY format?

Comment

In this way...do we need to telnet in BINARY format?
                      I'm not sure I understand the question. Telnet is just a protocol that allows you to access the server shell. It is not a file transfer protocol or file type.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
                        I'm not sure I understand the question. Telnet is just a protocol that allows you to access the server shell. It is not a file transfer protocol or file type.
                        I see...its ok..but for all those vB backup that we done..do we save it in ASCII or Binary format?

Comment

I see...its ok..but for all those vB backup that we done..do we save it in ASCII or Binary format?
                          Once again I don't understand the question. You don't choose the format of the backup when you use mysqldump. It's automatically saved as ASCII.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve, I believe he's talking about uploading and downloading. I use ASCII mode and I don't have problems, so I would recommend you do the same
                            Webmaster:
                            @forumz

Comment

how about if the host doesnt allow telnet is there any other way?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X